Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Setting up "The Net"

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Ok, so it turns out the wife got her ticket back in high school and was part of the HAM club back then, but she has no idea where her paperwork or anything like that is. So. . . my question to all the SME's here, does your ticket ever expire? If not, how would she go about finding out what ticket she has, and how to get info on it so she can start participating? Is there a agency you go thru? FCC? Do they keep records that far back? Any help would be appreciated folks!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Yes, the tickets expire - after 10 years (these days).

You can look up status at qrz.com, by callsign or name/address

Bacon saver

Yes, it does expire

You may use FCC Form 605 (edition date of July 2005 or later) to apply for renewal of your amateur operator/primary station license grant, including those station license grants within the grace period. Use purpose RO (Renew Only) for this. If it is necessary to also modify your name or mailing address shown on your amateur operator/primary station license grant, use purpose RM (Renew/Modify). If you are not requesting a call sign change, file the Main form only. (Club or military recreation stations need to file through a Club Station Call Sign Administrator. See the Public Notice on CSCSAs (text). RACES stations are no longer being renewed.)
    You may receive a license expiration notification from an entity, but you are not required to use its services. File for renewal 30-60 days, but no more than 90 days, before your license expiration date. 47 CFR Section 97.21, provides that when your application for renewal has been received by the FCC on or before the license expiration date, your operating authority is continued until the final disposition of your application. If your license expires, you may apply for renewal of the license for another term during a two-year filing grace period. The application document must be received by the FCC on or before the end of the grace period. Unless and until the license is renewed, no amateur operator or station operating privileges are conferred. Applications received after the grace period has ended cannot be granted.
    Section 1.913(f) requires that all applications, other than applications that must be filed through a VEC, may be submitted manually to the address below in number 11.
    Until Vanity licenses become renewable, there is no fee for renewing your amateur operator/primary station license grant.

Filing Electronically using the Universal Licensing System
    You may renew your license through the Universal Licensing System (ULS) at any time within 90 days of the expiration date for the license and up to two years after the license expires.
    To renew, go to the ULS Home, select Online Filing, and follow the instructions below.

Login to the ULS License Manager with your FCC Registration Number (FRN).
    From your License At A Glance page, choose the Renew link in the right hand menu called Work on this License. When your license is within the renewal period of 90 days before the expiration date until the expiration date, or within the 2 year grace period allowed there after the Renew link will appear. If your license is not eligible for renewal the link will not appear.
    On the Select Updates page, review the licensee information displayed beneath the table of license information. If any of the data is missing or out of date you must update it. Click on the box to the left of the Licensee Information heading to insert a checkbox and select it.
    When ready click Continue.
    Answer the questions on the Applicant Questions page, and click Continue when ready.
    On the Licensee Information page, review and update all of your licensee information. Make any corrections that are necessary.
    On the Summary page review the information you have entered. If you wish to make additional changes, click the Edit button next to the section of your application you wish to Edit. You will be able to return to that page of the application. Make the desired change and select the Return to Summary button.
    When ready to submit your update to the Commission, choose the Continue to Certify button.
    After reading the certification, enter your first and last names in the boxes at the bottom of the page. You MUST sign the application. When finished choose the Submit Application button.
    From the ULS Confirmation screen, we recommend you print a copy of your application and/or the Confirmation screen itself from your web browser.

Note: The address and contact information you have entered in CORES registration will not be automatically associated with your licenses. To change the address or other contact information on your license, you must update your information in ULS or submit Form 605 manually.

Filing Manually
    You may alternatively submit a paper FCC Form 605 (edition date of July 2005 or later) to
    FCC
    1270 Fairfield Road
    Gettysburg, PA 17325-7245
    OR, you may deliver the form in person to:
    FCC
    1280 Fairfield Road
    Gettysburg, PA 17325
    You can request forms by calling (800) 418-FORM (3676), download the form or call our Fax Information system at (202) 418-0177.

OK now that I baffled you with all that bullshit......................renew every 3 years.

After reading this I would "assume" she might have to take the exam all over again. It's $15 to take the exam and you can usually do it through your local red cross maybe or a local ham club might have something set up already. Izzy and I did a full blown assault on the exam using the online website. You can take the exam as many times as you want, it's free. I grades it, shows you the ones you got wrong, passing score percentile, blah, blah. But the questions you are taking are the ones that are on the actual exam there are 394 of them. Repetition and positive reinforcement, just keep doing it and you'll be passing it in no time at all. Then go take the exam. OH you have to be drinking some "apple pie" almost forgot the secret ingredient. http://www.eham.net/exams/

Well I hope this helps if it did anything at all.
    Last edited by Brownwater Riverrat 13; 12-29-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Premium Member
    someone give me a couple websites to get me started and an idea where to start? go slow I am only a grunt.

Crotch Rocket

I think I can help here. Google ARRL. I'd link it for you but I am dumber than my smart phone...

Did I type that too fast?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

Here is a few sites you can take practice test at.

http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/

http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/?...FSdp7Aod4h4A1w

Bacon saver

"OH you have to be drinking some "apple pie" almost forgot the secret ingredient." http://www.eham.net/exams/
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Premium Member
    Thanks! In a SHTF world, communications among like minded, I believe will be one of our greatest assets.

Wow The Net is an amazing progression and definitely a must for the colony. I too am working on getting my ticket. I have recently purchased saber III radios and all the needed cables for programming, a 386sx computer and I get the software on Monday to program the Saber Radios. Is the colony getting a ticket? Also is there non-amateur radio freq that the colony will utilize? and probably a secret, but is there a secret squirrel listing of the colony's freqs?

I'll most likely shit myself

Some of us have Sabres and if in the same area, the same programming. And some others have some shared freqs in case of traveling in the same area. Others of us have ham tickets seperately or in addition to the Sabres. I would be afraid to guess who has FRS/GRMS/MURS capabilities, other than what could be added to the Sabres.

Other than some guys within 75 to 100 miles, I don't know of a list of freqs. Some common freqs would be useful when traveling, or WSHTF.