Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up "The Net"

Thanks. I've been building it for around 30 years

I've been able to get a lot of it (the tower, the Micom, the antennas, a bunch of coax and hardline) from mil surplus. The downside is that it cost me more to get the tower and log-periodic moved to my place than it cost to buy it and erect it.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    I have 2 soup cans and a long piece of string. . . anyone care to help a fella out here? Point/guide/show/tell/teach me?
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Where do you want to go?

Bacon saver

I've managed to get 4 towers, one for $50, 3 for free all of them are 35ft tall. A set of milsurp guy wires for $45. Bought my coax and radios new. Two Yaesu's a FT-60 hand held and a DT-857 which is HF/VHF/UHF. I picked that up at Hamfest a bit painful but it covers all the bases. I'm still learning all the buttons but that thing has some serious distance so far. The antenna I picked up at Hamfest also for $80 which is a Jetstream JTB1B. I currently have it rigged where it stands about 40ft total height.

I recommend to anyone who's going to buy a radio to get one that it has mobile capability. So you can use it as a base station or put it in your vehicle. Why? It runs off a 12 volt power supply. You can also use it in a pack pack if you build a rig for it.

Next purchase will be an antennae for HF so I can go the extra distance. That will be in the near future.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Ive got 5 motorola sabers that I need to get flashed to all the same freq's. Anybody here got that capability? ( know one of us does, I just am having a PTSD moment and my CRSS is kicking in something fierce this week.) PM if need be, or throw it out in public, whichever works best.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Bacon Spam

I started old skool with cb, marine ( I live near the water ) and FRS GMRS, got my ham ticket and then the general, I do mostly 2m and 440 here, have no HF rig or antenna currently , but one day.....I use antron 99 and a Shakespear marine whip on top the tower, as well as a Comet GP3 on a stand off bracket at 35 feet, house is 115 elevation, I get about 30 miles out in the water, and repeaters about 40 miles away on 2M....and receive FRS for about 5 miles away

Bacon saver

Sounds good to me here's a website (but you might already be familiar with it) http://www.artscipub.com plug in Florida, Georgia, whatever and see what repeaters are available in your area, then try your luck. This morning I hit one at 125 miles away............Bacpacker's back gate. Wouldn't you know you can't even get him to answer the phone. But right now I'm punching some serious distance. My elevation is right around 960' plus the tower puts me around 1K. I picked up an HF antenna yesterday so I'll be putting that up a little bit at a time, need a few more parts and pieces, minor stuff. I'll have to do that between chores. But I feel pretty good about this morning. Patted my furry self on the back I did. Must have done a few things right to make it work that good. Man said I had just a wee bit of white noise and then I came in loud and clear and l was GTG.

I'll most likely shit myself

Well Shit Rat! Guy takes a couple days off to celebrate with the old lady and look what happens. Sounds like excellent progress has been made. Looking forward to seeing what you are hitting. I have asked a buddy of mine some info about some other repeaters between us, so I think it's gonna come together sooner or later. Timing is everything.

Bacon saver

Success! Bacpacker and I have connected on 2m.........there was a little bacon fryin in the background but hey, at 125 miles as the crow flies that's not bad. Seems you have to catch it when the conditions are right but it's alternate means of comms for our neck of the woods. HF is right around the corner. Are there any other members in TN that are up and running out there??????????

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    Ive got 5 motorola sabers that I need to get flashed to all the same freq's. Anybody here got that capability? ( know one of us does, I just am having a PTSD moment and my CRSS is kicking in something fierce this week.) PM if need be, or throw it out in public, whichever works best.
    hit up APSSBC
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.