Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cargo Trailer Conversion

In his experience the hammer head is better

Cargo Trailer Conversion

Well I'm not anywhere done yet. However I did make some progress today. The trailer is gutted. I foamed the area between the floor and the was to insulate that part and seal the trailer from the outside.

I diagramed the electrical layout all over the trailer. It's hard to tell but there will be a distribution box that charges and maintains the 12v batteries, and supplies 12 and 110 power throughout the trailer depending if it's plugged in or not. The trailer has extra wires for possible air conditioning, and will be wired and ready for solar panels on the roof. The top left of the pic is where my VHF radio and my CD player will go. There will be roof mount antenna. The trailer will be all led lights inside and out. There will be two propane lanterns installed inside in case there is no electricity or a emp strike. Heat will be provided by a small fireplace that will be installed.

This is from the back facing forward. The rear will have a 53 inch fold down bed on the left side and a 27 inch fold down bench on the right. When folded together it'll be the size of a queen bed. The left side will be able to be left up so a table can be placed in the center of the trailer with the 27" bench for seating two. Up front is the kitchen area and cabinets will be placed all over for storage. Also in the pic you can see my plugs installed so far. Both inside and outside have been installed.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

I'll most likely shit myself

Lots of nice work. And a good thought process on how you are outfitting it. I like the idea of putting the wiring diagram on the walls. Makes it much easier to see how things fit together.

What kind of antenna are you planning on for the VHF?

Claptrap's Problem Solver

How the hell did I miss this thread?

http://cheaprvliving.com

You've prob already been here but if not they might have some good ideas for you.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

awesome. You go bro!!
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Looks good. I assume you'll be using rigid foam insulation for both comfort and sound deadening.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Thanks everyone. I really liked drawing it out. Helped me a ton figuring out how I wanted it.

I had not seen that website but I will be spending some time there now. Thanks!

I used expanding foam in the big gaps. The walls will have 1" rigid foam. As will the ceiling. Ill tape it in place and cover over that with whatever I'm gonna use for the walls. The front will have 2" of insulation since i will be spacing the wall out a little more to allow for all the wires to go there.
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

As for the antenna I want to use the Motorola through the roof connector they make. Specific antenna I'm not certain just want to get a few miles around the trailer.

Tagged for interest

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

Definitely in for the trailer build.

Bacon Spam

been toying with converting my trailer for years, I have been collecting pics and ideas, some things to consider are :
    an awning

wire it in now ( shore power ) a way to connect an extension cord so that you can have 110v inside to run lights microwave etc

use of e-track and clips to make a removable bed frame ( for when you need to haul stuff in your trailer ) the clips allow you to remove the bed frame and install later with a blow up mattress

just some pics of a nice set up