Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cargo Trailer Conversion

In his experience the hammer head is better

Cargo Trailer Conversion

So the other day I picked up a 7x14 Cargo Trailer for a song. I got to thinking that I dont have many uses for the trailer however I didnt want to get rid of it. So I got to thinking and have decided I am going to convert it to a camper/cargo trailer. It will be geared toward being able to keep much of my equipment in it ready to go. The fiancee and I are also going to use it for camping on a regular basis. This is going to be a very ambitious project and it is going to take some time as I am broke as a joke. My future wife and I are very excited for this. Im hoping to use this thread to document what I am doing as the project progresses.

Here is the trailer. Its older but in great shape.

I gutted it today and rustproofed the whole thing. The next step is to get it wired, insulated and sealed from the elements. My goals for the trailer eventually are to:
    -Have it run off both 12 volt, and 110 for when were at camp sites.
    -Have Solar panels and a couple batteries.
    -Install two 30 gallon propane tanks.
    -40 gallons of fresh water and a spare fuel tank installed underneath.
    -Have a small Kitchen with a propane stove.
    -Maximize storage for equipment.
    -Install a Nu Way wood stove.
    -Have a ham radio base station installed.

Basically I want to have some amenities of home with the ability to live off the grid completely if need be. I will update you guys as I go...but like I said this will probably be a long process unless I come into a considerable amount of money .
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

I'll most likely shit myself

I love it. At one time I was considering a trailer very similar to that just to pack up and have as a bug out tool to cut down on load up time. If funds allow I may still at some point.

Installing a ham set up isnt very hard in these rigs. Wiring either. I helped a group set up a comms trailer and while they probably had more than you want it turned out nice and very functional.
    I will subscribe to this thread and track closely.

Congrats on the good deal!! I like these style trailers.

Very interested to follow this thread and see what cool things you do to it. I hope your build get rolling quickly.

If there's room, you may want a grey/black water tank as well.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

In his experience the hammer head is better

I'll take some pictures next time I'm home with it gutted. The wiring should be very simple and a radio setup will be quite easy. I only run VHF right now however I am going to leave room to add more radios if needed.

As for a black/grey tank I will be doing that. Not certain I'm going to put a bathroom inside. Might just use a porta potty like on a boat and use the grey tank for sink water and what not. I plan on doing an outside shower also.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Lucky Guy! Ive been on the lookout for one of these to do the same thing to! I am looking at putting a safari rack on top for extra luggage capacity, then also adding solar panels on top as well!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    This exact project has been on my mind for 5 years... never had the luck or cash to have something to get started with.

I know whatever I get, its going to end up being a little top heavy, plan on swapping springs and doing a spring over conversion, lifting it a minimum of 5" so it can go "cross country". At least off a road over a 1 foot ditch and into a rough clearing at the least.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

Sweet! It must be true that great minds think alike, because we certainly have some great minds on this forum, and we all want a trailer like that. lol. Great score! I can't wait to see the progression!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    This exact project has been on my mind for 5 years... never had the luck or cash to have something to get started with.

I know whatever I get, its going to end up being a little top heavy, plan on swapping springs and doing a spring over conversion, lifting it a minimum of 5" so it can go "cross country". At least off a road over a 1 foot ditch and into a rough clearing at the least.

EB
    Hey eb I like that plan. An offroad camping trailer will rock.
    Plastic plates are a must

We need some build threads here.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

I'll most likely shit myself

I would be happy to start one......if the funds were available! Shit I hate it when that happens.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Is it done yet, whats the hold up??

:-

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"