I was in Food Lion earlier this week, shopping for the week's groceries. I normally go to Chinamart, since they are cheaper, but I hate the place. So, if the list is fairly short, I'll hit the food kitty, as it's closer, and has less idiots in it.
Since I don't shop there much, I don't know the store as well, so often I'll end up going down most of the aisles, looking for what I'm after. This time, I just went down them all, as seeing them like that will ingrain the store layout to me after several times.
In one of the "other items" aisles, where the grilling stuff is, I saw a box labeled "Fatwood". I had walked by it, before it fully registered, and I backed up.
For any who might not know what fatwood is, it's wood from the stump of a recently fallen pine tree. The sap, which is a very flammable resin, collects in the stump of a pine tree, especially as it dies. It collects also at the trunk where a limb meets it, but in much less quantity.
This wood is virtually wet with resin, being damp and sticky in the hands. It burns readily, easily ignited with a match. If shaved up kind of fuzzy with a knife, it can be ignited with just sparks.
I think it's usefulness can clearly be understood.
Once a tree falls, cutting into the stump will yield this fatwood, which is ever shrinking as the stump slowly dries out, and it is finally gone.

To see it in a box, on a store shelf, was kind of shocking.

It doesn't give a weight, but it feels like a pound or two. For $5, no less.

The weeks shopping budget was tight, so I only bought one. But I will be back for more.

I opened the box, and they are just loosely packed inside. If you get some, be sure to seal the box or pieces in something more airtight, to keep the resin from drying out too quickly.