So, today I got my daughter some goodies for xmas...

A 1$ Silver Certificate and six junk silver dimes.

I also got a $5 CSA bill, which I gave her today as an early present, and she about flipped out! Thought it was the COOLEST thing she ever saw (besides her daddy on the firing range of course..) so that was a big hit.

Now, shes starting to get the idea of modern survivalisim and I am wanting to present the certificate and junk dimes along with a lesson..

However, Im having some difficulty putting to paper exactly what to say, and how to say it...

So can you guys help me explain to a 16 year old how a dime now cost $1.50 to buy (worth $1.40 in silver and copper) and how the dollar is monopoly money since we went away from the gold & silver standard?

Id like to roll into that, how the dime is valued at $1.40 in silver, but the reserve note dollar bill is valued at XXXX cents... Im having some math trouble figuring that out. (publik edumakatiion victim)

Id also like to try to teach how the silver as a PM holds it value over time, but the reserve note fractions its value every time a new dollar is printed.

AFAIK, there was the federal treasury, where the gold and silver were kept and the dollar certificate drew its value from... when, why and how did we transition to the federal reserve, which is just an expensive printing press?

I guess you get the general idea, if not Id wonder if I were at the right forum! HA HA!

So give an ignorant dad who is just learning the finer points himself some help in being a teacher, and thanks for your time!

EB