Thread: Calling all Knife enthusiast

Calling all Knife enthusiast

So I got two knives for Christmas. These are my first two quality knives. Well one of them is quality at least. I also say quality with a little hesitation. Since I'm not into knives enough to be a real judge of "quality"

I also cold hammer forged a knife by hand that I want to put a para-cord wrap on the handle. What should I know about this before I do it? Are there lots of different kind of para-cord?

Here is a video that shows all three knives. (Kershaw Brawler, Tac-Force Speedster, and my own custom creation.

I'll most likely shit myself

Real nice presents! I have no knowledge of Tac force knives, but it does look like a good looking knife. IMO the seat belt cutter and glass breaker just screams at me to keep this in my daily driver. I'm like you in the fact, I don't like to carry a large look at me knife as a EDC. I want a good blade that will cover what I need, but still something that don't draw attention or be bulky. But I do carry at least a spare folder and a fixed blade in all my vehicles.
    As far as Kershaw goes, I have 4 or 5 different models, but not the Brawler model. That looks like a sweet knife as well and for EDC use should cover your bases pretty well.
    My EDC is the Leek model. It fits and rides well, but is pretty well not noticed when in a pocket. All my Kershaws take a good edge and most of them hold it very well.
    As far as you hand made model, that is a nice looking blade. Never saw that style before, but I really like it. What type sheath are your gonna go with for it when it's done? What metal did you use to make it with? What forge do you have, gas, coal?

I just used general purpose low carbon steel. 36" x 1" x 1/4" I'm thinking it was 1018. :/

I "cold" hammer forged the blade. This is done without heating the steel. The benefit of this is that it work hardens the steel making it much harder, and durable then simply machining the low carbon steel. It's the same process they use for high quality AR barrels.

The negatives of cold hammer forging anything is that it work hardens the steel making it really hard to form. This causes the process to take more time, and increases the amount of brute force required. It also makes the steel more brittle so you would never do this for a sword, or thin long blade that needs to flex.

I currently don't have a furnace but I've got plans to build one soon.

Keep in mind that "forging" is the process of forming it doesn't define a specific process. There are many different ways to forge steel. That's why forging is often classified according to the temperature at which it is performed: "cold", "warm", "hot", "Hammered", or "Rolled" forging. Generally when talking about knives, and swords people just assume hot hammer forging because it's much more typical.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Don't know anything about Tac Force knives, but Kershaw is quite good.

I carry a Rake EDC.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

now that a couple weeks have passed I've only heard terrible things about Tac-Force knives. lol I've been carrying my Kershaw almost every single day and so far I love it!

Maybe I'll carry to the Tac-Force just to see how it does.