Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Basement Aquaponics

Quote Originally Posted by Vodin View Post
    I bought an herb plant from a garden center. I didn't see the aphid infestation. So I bought 1500 ladybugs but messed up the release. So bought another 1000 and did it proper. If the tilapia didn't eat em the spiders in the basement got the ones that aren't in the grow bed. The ladybug mating signifies they are happy with the food and environment. And most of the aphids are gone so they did their job.
    Bugs sure suck. We have a plagued apple tree and I should try some LBs this summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Your plants look awesome, healthy and yummy

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Metrocruiser View Post
    Oh man, you two are making me get aquaponic visions in my head. I am dreaming of an indoor windowsill tube system. Our sunroom has 15' of south west facing exposure. Got about 4 houses and a highrise 2 blocks away that can see right into our kitchen when it gets dark and the blinds open. Some privacy would be nice and some fresh herbs and veggies would be awesome.

If I had one 5" diameter pipe running along the windowsill run of 15 feet what type of fish tank size would be ideal? As well, what about number of plants/spacing, I would like grow some greenleaf lettuce, green onions, basil, cilantro.

I hope this is on topic because I am not meaning to hijack, please move or delete if this post is inappropriate.
    You want the fish tank big enough that the water level does not go down too low, and that it does not overflow if you have a power failure. The amount of water is not that critical, it is more about the amount of fish in the water. With 15 feet of pipe that would probably give you over 20 plants. I would start with just a few fish, and monitor the levels of nitrates, ammonia and nitrites, and then you could add more fish. The general rule of thumb is to try to move the water every hour. So if you have 100 gallons, get a pump that can pump 100 gallons a hour at least at the height you are pumping too. It will show on the back of the pump packaging.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Metrocruiser View Post
    Bugs sure suck. We have a plagued apple tree and I should try some LBs this summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Your plants look awesome, healthy and yummy
    Bugs are even worse in aquaponics, because you can't use any pesticides.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Very nice Vodin, thanks for sharing! Can you teach us about aquaponics? I know theres plenty on oogle, but Id like to hear from *YOU* since 1) you are sucessful 2) you are a trusted source of information.

Thanks!
    EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Very nice Vodin, thanks for sharing! Can you teach us about aquaponics? I know theres plenty on oogle, but Id like to hear from *YOU* since 1) you are sucessful 2) you are a trusted source of information.

Thanks!
    EB
    What do you want to know, I been running a AP system for over 2 years now.

http://www.shtfready.com/threads/880...ght=aquaponics

http://www.shtfready.com/threads/395...ght=aquaponics

I have still yet to grow a brain
    helomech's system is huge he is also a source of information for me. Mine is what I can fit into the space I have which is small. My first build was simple and I did it before I researched anything.

[IMG][/IMG]

This initially took up a 3'x3'x3' space until the plants started to grow. In the end the tomatoes were 54" tall and curled over at the ceiling. I farmed Chives, Green Beans, and Cherry Tomatoes (about 2-3 lbs) in the 7 months I had it. They started from seeds. I had pumpkin and other plants. No fruits I learned about pollination long story there.

First my suggestions are figure out
    what you want to invest
    what you want from your investment
    where will the fish tank be
    how much space do you have there

I am assuming this will be indoors...?

For me indoors resolves a lot of issues with where I live. Colorado, long bouts of cold weather making a short growing season.
    I didn't want to start out big so I bought a used 55 gallon -> FOOD GRADE <- barrel. It contained Mountain Dew from the Pepsi CO.
    I paid $10 for the barrel, I needed to keep the water oxygenated for the fish air pump $10, need a heater for the fish $19, and I need a water pump to move water from fish barrel to the grow bed another $15.

$55 for the fish tank set up.

I cut the top 1/3 of the barrel off, flipped it over and sealed any holes with silicone. I made the grow bed ($7 silicone)
    Built a Bell Siphon and installed it. (PvC pipe and a bit of frustration) ($15)
    Filled the grow bed with media. 30Litres of Hydroton (baked clay balls) (($30))

So total now is $100 for the set up things you need at this point is water. Set up system filled and ran it for 1 month no seeds no fish (to set up the biological requirements for plant and animal)

Bought gold fish (buy feeder fish cheap) and seed of the plants I wanted. Also bought Master Liquid Test Kit this tests the Waters pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Salt level. The kit is about 20 years old I have had fish tanks in the past. I would assume the cost is about $30

So for $140 (fish x10 at .20 and fish food $8) you have what is needed.

Now before you do all this Calculate your space and how the light shines in the area you will have the plants in. When you have that and $ we can start banging an indoor system out.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    You want the fish tank big enough that the water level does not go down too low, and that it does not overflow if you have a power failure. The amount of water is not that critical, it is more about the amount of fish in the water. With 15 feet of pipe that would probably give you over 20 plants. I would start with just a few fish, and monitor the levels of nitrates, ammonia and nitrites, and then you could add more fish. The general rule of thumb is to try to move the water every hour. So if you have 100 gallons, get a pump that can pump 100 gallons a hour at least at the height you are pumping too. It will show on the back of the pump packaging.

- - - Updated - - -

Bugs are even worse in aquaponics, because you can't use any pesticides.

Bug removal. Figure out the bug and find its predator. My infestation 'was' Aphids, Ladybugs I can deal with and they LOVE to eat Aphids.

A couple of weeks later my brain kicked in with Aquaponics no chemicals!!! BUT DE or Diatomaceous earth is a natural bug killer and when it hits water it breaks down and doesnt effect aquatic animal life. Use on dogs for tics and lice.

Learn More here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

I'll most likely shit myself

Great layout of details Vodin.

I have really enjoyed following Helo's system build since he started putting up the info about it.

In all honesty, this is something I should start doing myself. Other than the time it would require, the only reason I haven't, we don't care much for fish short of some saltwater species. I do like reading up on your guys work. It highly impresses me of your skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Vodin View Post
    Bug removal. Figure out the bug and find its predator. My infestation 'was' Aphids, Ladybugs I can deal with and they LOVE to eat Aphids.

A couple of weeks later my brain kicked in with Aquaponics no chemicals!!! BUT DE or Diatomaceous earth is a natural bug killer and when it hits water it breaks down and doesnt effect aquatic animal life. Use on dogs for tics and lice.

Learn More here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth
    Yeah, we use DE a lot, but it is only so effective. It is a very wet environment. We also use DE for our chickens a lot.

Does overusing a specific pesticide make the pest more resilient or immune?
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Great layout of details Vodin.

I have really enjoyed following Helo's system build since he started putting up the info about it.

In all honesty, this is something I should start doing myself. Other than the time it would require, the only reason I haven't, we don't care much for fish short of some saltwater species. I do like reading up on your guys work. It highly impresses me of your skills.
    Yes I read it from start to finish and enjoyed it as well. It was my intro to AP.

My wife loves fish but I dont care for it too much. Panko breaded tilapia taste pretty good though.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.