Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water the final frontier...

Bacon saver

Seeee, that wasn't so hard. Of course you planned, but the situation calls for "survival" you're not where you planned to be at that moment. IT'S GONE! So you just answer the question, that's all. No big deal, simple.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

The hot sexy one

Fight for water is a real reality in near future...just wait until your suppliers decide to charge $5 a gallon for water.....

Yes in Shtf , distilling or purifying urine would become a reality...But like one said , you are just walking dead without a plan for securing water....

You could start using your septic system now and reusing the leech flow......The septic tank is already a filtering system utilizing solid drop out and emulsified waste... Just super chlorinate, the filter again....

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Catch rain water into a rain barrel... A large tarp setup can grab a LOT of rain. From there, it is stored in the barrel until needed, at which time is can be distilled and Cloroxed for consumption.

Problem is... some places get more rain than others...

Thats all I can contribute for today..

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Yes, I suppose I would. But like others have said, that's a lost cause.

Locally reachable groundwater is brackish, so I already need a distillation setup.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I'd do what I had to, however... At the first sign of shtf, I'd be adding to my rain water system ASAP, up to and including building shed roofs from anything I can find, draining into any container I can find, even if I have to steal the neighbors trash cans. Lol. As soon as I pay the $1000 in taxes I didn't expect to pay, I'm having our gutters installed. The gutter guy is making some design changes for me as far as locations of downspouts etc for my barrels. I'm going to prepare to enlarge the system at a moments notice.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Last year we had those gutters installed that don't collect junk. Almost all of it, and all of the bigger stuff, goes right off the roof, while the water goes down the spout. I plan on building a couple of above ground "cisterns", which would hold more than a barrel. There will be very little trash in them.

Of course, roof water should be at least filtered and bleach treated, but distilled would the way to go.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    I plan on building a couple of above ground "cisterns", which would hold more than a barrel.
    Just out of curiosity...... Mind elaborating a little?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I've considered getting a 300-400 gallon tank from tractor supply or one of the other ag stores. They make a bunch of different styles. I would need a very hefty stand to gravity feed off the tank or at least be able to get a bucket under it for watering. I also think I'd want to build a small fence around it so it doesn't look like an industrial tank in my yard, but I think it would actually have a smaller footprint than multiple barrels.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

The hot sexy one

The cisterns being used for catching rain I have seen are always dark and has another barrel feeding it.... They use the barrel catching the rain as filter then the overflow goes to the cistern , which sometimes is inground, in a shed or basement. The first barrel allows rainwater to enter and solids settle to bottom, the pipe diverting flow to cistern somtimes has an elbow below max water level to prevent floating debris from entering....Have seen screens also...