Thread: My first quinzee hut

Administrator

My first quinzee hut

My New Years resolution for 2014 is to exercise my survivalist skills. With all the damn snow that dump on my AO yesterday I decided to put some practical survival skills to good use. I built my first Quinzee hut. It wasn't too hard with a snow shovel. I had the pile as tall as me within 15 minutes. It probably would taken much longer with an E-tool in a survival situation. (Which I would have in my BOB) Once I got the pile set up and packed in I started digging out snow. I was a little worried about it caving in on my head but with the huge amount of snow I packed into a pile it was no problem. Carve time took about 15 minutes. (It probably would have been less time if I wasn't 6'3 and 250lbs.) Once everything was carved out I crawled in and made myself at home. Inside of the hut, it was actually warm. I couldn't believe it. Within 5 minutes of sitting in my hut, my breath was actually making the snow melt. I had the snow dripping on my head. Snow really is a wonderful insulator. The Eskimos are onto something I tells ya.

Things I would do if I built my hut for a life or death situation:

1. Try and find a fallen tree or natural shelter and pack snow around it for insulation. This will save a lot of time (especially with a small E-tool) and avoid me getting wet.

2. If number 1 is not available find lots of natural ground cover along with trying to line the wall with pine needles or what shrubbery I could find to prevent my breath and body heat from melting the snow.

On Monday I will try building a fire near the opening of my hut to see if the heat will flow into the hut without the snow melting all over my head. I update this thread If and when I do.

Overall it was really cool (pun intended) to finally put my knowledge to practical use.

Scooping it out.

Side View

Front View

Me in my hut

Inside view

Rest of the pictures.
    http://http://flic.kr/ps/2M6kN4
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Crotch Rocket

Thanks!

Have you thought about one of those collapsible snow shovels for the Bob? I've seen some not much larger than an etool
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Administrator

I'll forever be a die hard etool fan. I need to get one more and my set will complete.

Crotch Rocket

Can you expand on that? I'm only aware of two...

And I've been straight buried by snow this year. I still think a field sized snow shovel is a good idea, as much as I love my own e-tool.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 02-07-2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: auto-correct turned etool to stool. i like a good stool, but thats not part of this discussion...
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    Thanks!

Have you thought about one of those collapsible snow shovels for the Bob? I've seen some not much larger than an etool
    MTR....are you talking about the plastic ones. If so, l would lean towards the e-tool for durability. If not, ignore my question.

2die4....nice job.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Crotch Rocket

Yep, plastic. From what I've seen and read I'd have thought it acceptable for its intended use... I'm guessing youve experienced otherwise?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

I love the quinzee build. Very nice and some good pics showing it off.

I have looked at these shovels at Gander Mountian. They look like they are decently made, but have no idea about durability.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...-8499&i=448026

There are lots of different styles of them. REI carries some high dollar ones that are made for Mountian climbers. I have no doubt they are better quality.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I love the quinzee build. Very nice and some good pics showing it off.

I have looked at these shovels at Gander Mountian. They look like they are decently made, but have no idea about durability.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...-8499&i=448026

There are lots of different styles of them. REI carries some high dollar ones that are made for Mountian climbers. I have no doubt they are better quality.
    I'll assume they are the same. I'm guessing you are paying the high dollar for a lightweight version of a USGI E-Tool

I'll most likely shit myself

The blades on the units I have looked at are larger than an etool. Guessing I would say maybe 12" wide and a little longer. They are made for snow. Doubt they would last long digging dirt with them.