Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big thanks to River Rat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Big thanks to River Rat

Seriously, awesome job.

So, I got my HAM ticket awhile back, but haven't ever really done a whole lit with it.......

Until today.

Last weekend, BWRR gave me 2 antennas that he had made for me. 1 is semi- stationary, the other is a "throw-n-go" type J-pole.

(As I'm still new to the radio world, Rat can chime in here and explain the designs)

Anyways, I finally had the chance to set up the big antenna today.

Let me just say this:

This is really cool. Just off of this homemade antenna, using my little handheld, was able to hit a repeater and talk to another HAM that was 2 1/2 hours away. The guy on the other line said that I was crystal clear.

Still have yet to test my "throw and go", but if today's test is a sign, field expedient coms in a SHTF scenario just got a lot easier.

Awesome job, Rat.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Bacon saver

Guess what I'm going to have to do here is post a new thread in the comms section. I now have three designs for your HT's (hand held radios).
    1. A "throw and go" designed for a BOB or ruck which ever.
    2. A Mini base station vertical pole for outdoor water tight permanent (if you want)
    3. A integrated back pack design to weave into your molle.

To be continued...........have to finish a gun for a man.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Seriously, you should sell those puppies.

They work great.
    SAved a lot of headache from me building them....ya know, since I've got no clue what I'm doing. I'm more of a plug and play end user type of dude.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

That molle weave sounds like a cool idea.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

The molle TVAS type antenna is uber sweet

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Guess I'll have to throw something off the list, so I can work on getting a HAM ticket. Seems like it'll be the way to go.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Where's the epi?

I have to say that I haven't seen BWRR much these days as he's been working on prototypes for these antennas. I am amazed at what he has done especially with the Molly gear one. It is very impressive indeed. He's worked really hard to improve on anything that's available on the market (there actually isn't anything comparable to the Molly) so that we have the best comms when shtf.
    I have to say I am so impresses and really proud of him. Wow, who would have thunk I married someone so smart?
    I apologize for nothing...

I'll most likely shit myself

Way to go BWRR!

Bacon saver

Wow is right. I don't know many guys that have a wife that publicly brags about them. Thanks baby!

OK, the "Molle Rig" is still in the R&D phase. The positives are that i have worked a repeater 30 miles away (transmit and receive) also intermittently another repeater 57 miles north. That one is really pushing it. The antenna is more directional at long distances, meaning I have to be turned in the right direction to obtain the best signal. But het 30 miles on a handheld 5 watt radio. Not to shabby.

The "Throw and go" is a omnidirectional vertical type antenna. Just like it sounds throw the bitter end of that 50ft piece of 550 cord you got in your BOB. Tie one end off to the antenna, haul it up as far as the jumper and pig tail will allow. Start transmitting! This one has been consistent on both repeaters 30 and 57 miles away. It's small enough to fit in a Zip-lok sandwich bag.

Remember UHV/VHF is "line of sight" also depends on weather and atmospheric conditions for optimum performance.

I will post some pictures here soon I just don't want to jump the gun. Once I'm satisfied and tested enough times I'll throw them up there for all to see. I'm just anal about this stuff and I want this shit to work, so I buy quality jumpers and pig tails and make my own antennas. So far so good. Keep ya posted...............
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

I'll most likely shit myself

Antennas are the heart of any radio system. Time put into the quality and design pays big dividends in the long run. Glad to hear the designs are proving effective.