Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency candles?

Premium Member

Emergency candles?

I just read on FB, a piece of string in a can of Crisco shortening will last 45 hrs? Any one able to confirm this?

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I've heard that too, we've got some religious candles we got at the dollar store that last about that long too.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Greg48... I can't confirm 45 hours, but I can vouch for a long burn from crisco.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Well, I've always wanted to set Crisco on fire outside of the kitchen. Guess now I have a reason
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I have heard the same but never tested it. I have a better use for crisco.

What we do for emergency candles is wait until after one of the big holidays (Christmas, thanksgiving, etc) then hit the Walmart clearance isle. The holiday candles normally end up 50 to 75% off.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

don't see the $$ economics $$ of using a can of Crisco vs candles ... as already posted candles can be purchased fairly cheaply .... I've found full boxes of candles for a $1 at garage sales .... sometimes semi damaged candles are even cheaper ... you can also re-melt the wax and re-use the wicks into new larger candles

Illini warrior.... Not sure that economics is the reason that the post was written, more so as to another emergency resource should the need arise. I'm sure in a shtf scenario wal marts, dollar stores and garage sales will probably not be an option. Greg48, I'm sure, was just bringing up another alternative should the need arise.

Thanks greg48!

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

There are several decent videos on YouTube about it. Even how to make them smell good.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    Well, I've always wanted to set Crisco on fire outside of the kitchen. Guess now I have a reason
    Damn, beat me to it.

Interesting, but I don't want to burn something useful towards food if I can help it.

I have quite a few tea light candles, they come in boxes of 50 for $2 or $3. They don't burn for 45 hrs, but do burn awhile, and are small enough to put everywhere, or use for barter.

We got some stuff to make candles, but have been so crazy since we haven't had time to mess with it. If nothing else, it will allow us to save that last bit from candles and "pool" them together to make new ones.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Back in the late 60's early 70's we made candles. You can buy the bulk wax at many hobby stores. I still have several pounds left, plus we have been saving the last bits of wax from burned candles.

I do like the idea of the Crisco though. Only problem, we do not have any Crisco in this house.