Thread: Sub-irrigation

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Sub-irrigation

Altar Arms - 01 FFL (772) 497-6550 - Located in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    15$ transfers for SHTF Ready members! WE TAKE TRADES!

I'll most likely shit myself

I have used something similar to the botton photo. I bury a 1"x12" PVC pipe next to my tomatos plants and use a 2 liter bottle to stick in the pipe to water the plant during periods of no rain. You can also mix compost tea or liquid fertilize in to water as well. Works pretty good.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post

Everyone has a different idea about doing this, and I've had ok results with it in the past, but not in my current AO. I mentioned doing this to a very well respected gardener/nursery manager locally and was told... "It exposes the roots to hot summer air, and can damage the plants". I've always thought direct feeding to the roots was a good idea, but got discouraged from doing it by pros. I used to use wine bottles for watering large potted plants, and it worked great. Saw lots of this in Italy where people had potted trees in HUGE terra cotta pots on their front steps in the city. Keeping plants alive here in the summer is almost a full time job, so I've always been afraid to do what professional gardeners say not to, but as I learn more, I'm just doing my own thing.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.