Thread: Planted some trees in my food plot.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Planted some trees in my food plot.

They had some chestnut trees at walmart and the label said they are great for food plots. So I bought 2 of them and planted them today. I did not want the deer or hogs to damage them, so my wife came up with a idea to protect them using pallets. It is also to far to water every day (until they get established) so I filled up some IBC's and brought them over there. I believe it is going to be enough water to go at least a week before I need to refill. Just go every day and crack the valve for a few minutes.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I'll most likely shit myself

Looks good helo. great idea with the pallets and IBC. How much water are you putting to them every day? Pay close attention to the leaf color. Too much water is almost as bad as not enough.
    Chestnuts are one of the nut types I want to get started. All I have now are pecans and some old Walnuts that bear like crazy most years.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

We are just letting the water run for a few minutes at a very slow rate. I think the IBC filled half way (about 125 gallons) will last well over a week. I let the water flow once a day until I see the ground where the tree is stops taking more water. Then I shut off the water, doing that once a day until it gets established.

I also planted 2 pecan trees near my house yesterday. All we have right now are hickory trees, and those nuts are not worth the work. Damn near impossible to get through that shell.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson