Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: LadyHK's "Cock-a-Doodle-Condo"

For the Love of Cats

Wait a minute... Tell me I am wrong, but are those potted plantes in there? And is that some sort of knick-knack between them? Holy spoiled chickens, batman!
    I do hope you splurged and got them a flat screen tv...

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

So far everything is functional. Like I said a few odds and ends to do , mainly electrical. Lights', clean up the wiring, maybe add a few more widgets, hell who knows. Birds still need training on the "get your ass inside" at night. Sunset is around 1630 here. I initially started there. then the door opened again 3 min. later and then closed 3 min. later. Well with the cold and windy days there wasn't of a problem. Now the last few days have been nice and day before yesterday. 2 got left out. So I figure let's bump the whole thing 20 min. to 1650. Well we came home last night to one straggler. I ain't touching a thing right now. It doesn't get dark till just after 1700. So I'm just going to try and make them get used to it. Maybe I'll shorten the "stupid chicken time" delay between open and close in the evening for the stragglers? Any you CHICKEN RANCHERS worked with an auto door I'm open to suggestions or just plain suggestions. Those of you who know the habits of this creature. Thanks ahead of time! Damn things don't have a throttle or a charging handle, but they do shit and they hang out together at night........but they don't hunt at night. Still looking for a place to put my radios.........
    I have my auto door set to close about 30-45 minutes after dark. That way all the birds are inside. You may have to round them up for a little while and force them to go inside. Once they get used to it, they should go in and out on their own. Guinea are the hardest to get to go in the coop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Wait a minute... Tell me I am wrong, but are those potted plantes in there? And is that some sort of knick-knack between them? Holy spoiled chickens, batman!
    I was thinking the same thing.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Where's the epi?

Just 2 plants that they immediately started pecking at so I took them out and the little thing in the middle is a "princess" chicken with a tiara and dress. They get the flat screen for Christmas.
    I apologize for nothing...

For the Love of Cats

wb Lady... where ya been?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    I have my auto door set to close about 30-45 minutes after dark. That way all the birds are inside. You may have to round them up for a little while and force them to go inside. Once they get used to it, they should go in and out on their own. Guinea are the hardest to get to go in the coop.

- - - Updated - - -

Last night wasn't problem either but I do see your point. Thanks. Damn rooster started making noise this morning.......keeps it up I'm going to nail his other foot to the floor.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I have black austrolorps and the roosters are very docile. We have had over a 100 of them over the years, and only one has ever been aggressive, they also don't make a lot of noise. What breed of rooster do you have?
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Where's the epi?

wb Lady... where ya been?
    Under the radar, lots going on. You know how it goes. Sorry. Missed you guys!

- - - Updated - - -

Last night wasn't problem either but I do see your point. Thanks. Damn rooster started making noise this morning.......keeps it up I'm going to nail his other foot to the floor.
    I haven't heard him make a sound! All of them are so quiet. They follow me around and eat out of my hand. I think BWRR is making up stories because he doesn't like chickens, especially roosters! I told him to go out and make friends with them and talk to them and they will be just as quiet around him as they are with me.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    I have black austrolorps and the roosters are very docile. We have had over a 100 of them over the years, and only one has ever been aggressive, they also don't make a lot of noise. What breed of rooster do you have?
    They are a mix of Delaware, I think Plymouth Rock and New Hampshire or Rhode Island. Although one of them looks like a Silver Laced Wyandotte but my friend who hatched them for me didn't say anything about that breed. She got a bunch of heritage birds years ago and then just let them do their thing. Guess thy are mongrels now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by robsdak View Post
    tough boss. man, i hope IF i ever make it there, i CAN produce enough to stay out of jars. besides i am old, tough and taste like shit. i bring toys and food for said toys, i can garden, hunt, shoot beyond 500m and everybody needs a Paracord Master...
    You're hired...just make sure ya bring your bees!

Where's the epi?

Update! All of my girls are laying now. Been getting 3-4 eggs every day and once I got 5 but today, on the coldest day of the year I got 6! Yahoo! 3 were various shades of brown, a blue, a green and one that is kind of a cross between green/blue.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    Update! All of my girls are laying now. Been getting 3-4 eggs every day and once I got 5 but today, on the coldest day of the year I got 6! Yahoo! 3 were various shades of brown, a blue, a green and one that is kind of a cross between green/blue.
    Well they're living in a hi-class condo, what do you expect?
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!