Thread: black beans

For the Love of Cats

black beans

Thanks to the seed swap a couple years ago, I have a bunch growing nicely, but I have never grown them before. How do I know when they are ready to pick? Eat? Collect beans for seed? what's the best way to get the beans out of the pod? Treat them like peas?

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

Man those look good!
    I assume you want them for the dry beans (similar to pintos or kidneys)? I leave all my dry beans on the plant until the shells dry up. The bean will have matured. You can cook at this point or use them for seed. I usually pull my plants (bush beans not vines) whole and find me a shade tree to shell them under or the in the basement. I'll then scatter them out for a few days to dry out good.
    Have you shelled any yet? The shells look like the seed would still be green. How many plants do you have? A row, or several plants? I usually plant in rows and make two psses with my seeder, kind a like a wide row.
    I like doing the seed swaps. Get to try something new!

For the Love of Cats

I have about 18 plants. first time growing them so I just planted one planter full. I want to save as many as I can for seed next year and keep the rest for eating.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

Thats best. You'll have plenty to eat and seed next year.