Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lighting/power idea brainstorm

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    Easier way is with a water chute from a constant source pond. You can divert enough water so that the wheel spins at the proper speed. I would go with batteries if it was my system, much less loading and unloading of the power.
    that makes sense. i was just thinking for my area, you can go to sleep and wake up to a storm that has flooded everything in a very short time. my thinking would be more like a (say) 2" PVC and then gear accordingly? then i am not having to deal with flood waters taking it away. i hope this makes sense, because it sure does in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesneuen View Post
    Just looking at the longevity of the batteries without dropping a ton of money into the industrial style ones. I will be using batteries most likely but don't want to rely on them as a long term solution.

I like the idea of the water wheel coming from a dedicated source. Especially since a moving source of water is one of the requirements I have for the property I buy.
    i hear you on dropping a ton of money, again, start small and work into it. build a small 'prototype' to play with and see how it goes. used batteries are fairly cheap. besides with the newer types of battery technology out there, they last longer. i was an electrician for years, anything i can help with. just ask.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

finally pooped
    I think I will have to do a bit more research on how generators and such run without using batteries before I start fooling with all this. Just wary of using something I see as having a limited lifespan. Even buying a good battery I have to replace my truck batteries every 5 years. Though I imagine that just running a few LED's would be FAR less load than cranking an 8cyl engine.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by robsdak View Post
    that makes sense. i was just thinking for my area, you can go to sleep and wake up to a storm that has flooded everything in a very short time. my thinking would be more like a (say) 2" PVC and then gear accordingly? then i am not having to deal with flood waters taking it away. i hope this makes sense, because it sure does in my head.

I would dig a pond and catch water from the stream. From this pond I would have a water drop to my water wheel. Streams and rivers are not constant enough for what I want.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

finally pooped
    I guess it would depend on the size of the stream in my mind but your idea sounds better. Could even stock it with some fishes for more food.

Yeah, you want the river to keep the pond full and overflowing all the time. With this constant source you can divert the exact amount of water you want onto your wheel. I hope one day I can find a place with a flowing spring to use for this, that way I don't have to worry about upstream contaminants.

finally pooped
    Helomech, I have heard of people capping springs to have a closed system. If you were short on land to make a pond or would be worried about it overflowing and flooding a critical area I would look at that. Sound like it would be nice.

Just have to divert the water where you want it to go. I have some springs on my property, but they don't really flow (just keep the ground wet), and they come and go.

Bacon saver

The pelton water wheel is the most efficient that there is that I have found. coupled to an alternator, then dial in the speed using the water control valve. One of the other things I noticed that no one brought up was the use of calcium carbide lamps????? Miners lamps, hello? They have been around for years, I have a couple of them. But I have yet to use them both are restored and ready for use i just haven't went out and got the materials....uh water and calcium carbide. I know the Mennonites and the Amish use them so I'll have to go and tap them and see what i can see. Just a thought......
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

finally pooped
    Dear god those miners lamps are a scary concept. No idea how they could safely use those in a mine. Most amish I knew growing up just used oil and hurricane lamps or Coleman lamps.

Helomech, is there any way you could get someone to drill on your property as if for a well and see if it has natural pressure to it?

I have two wells on my property, but neither has pressure. My pond has some natural springs in it, but the flow is very little.