Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: lighting/power idea brainstorm

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by jamesneuen View Post
    Dear god those miners lamps are a scary concept. No idea how they could safely use those in a mine. Most amish I knew growing up just used oil and hurricane lamps or Coleman lamps.

Helomech, is there any way you could get someone to drill on your property as if for a well and see if it has natural pressure to it?
    Where's your sense of adventure MAN? Shees.........kids these days. I wonder how they made it through those days working in the mines, having them on cars, hell they used them all over the place, but hey you asked so I'm just trying to throw some possible suggestions out there. Now if you throw it into a room fill with propane gas you got yourself some real excitement!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    I have two wells on my property, but neither has pressure. My pond has some natural springs in it, but the flow is very little.
    On that note with the way your ponds are I have a few questions. Being spring fed, do you have a way of tapping and draining the pond, as using a pipe with a valve? If so by tapping that pipe at the deepest point possible in the pond(more pressure) you can use this as your water source to spin your water wheel to produce electricity. By using both ponds you can alternate from one to the other and not over utilize the water source.....That is provided the spring flow is substantial. Same principal as a hydroelectric dam only on a smaller scale.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Spring does not have enough flow. It keeps up with evaporation, but not much more. If it has a flow I would already have a wheel set up.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    Spring does not have enough flow. It keeps up with evaporation, but not much more. If it has a flow I would already have a wheel set up.
    Well, it was just a thought, this is what we are/were going to do out at our other property. We have four originating spring fed creeks that produce all years round. Two of which I was planning on using for ponds and tapping for hydro, great flow, If I didn't tap them they would have to have a spillway.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I wish I had that. It is the only thing I regret about this property.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson