Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What if...

For the Love of Cats

I had one of those for a while, and it did work well, but it was definately loud!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    With a 12ga 100ft extension cord and the genny behind the shed, I could not even hear it in the house. HA HA!
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

Oddly enough that is how I ran mine. lol

Brother, is that you?

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I would not recommend using used milk jugs for potable water storage either. That's just playing Russian Roulette in my opinion. I only use them for waste water storage, and my friend, you are correct about the rain barrel. On a dome, a gutter would be useless. WAY to much run off to collect. But at some point, I plan on adding a lean to covering on the rt. side of my dome garage to shelter a tractor/bush hog and plan to catch the rain run off there. And oddly enough, our water did go out last night. My wife told me when she came to bed, but I didn't remember as I was writing last nights post. It came back on about 6:30 am, just as she was figuring our how she was going to get to work and clean up there. They were doing some maintenance at the tank.

EB, I'm a guy, so I did what all guys would have done, played with my genny anyway. Lol. I just pretended the power was still out to see what it would run. I bought it sight unseen over the phone from Lowes. It is a Genetac GP5500. She's strong enough to meet my emergency needs and still have enough to run a few luxury items...like the wife's blow dryer...heaven help us all if that wort work. I do plan on working to make it a bit quieter this spring. I'm up here on the side of the ridge, and I ran my air compressor this summer a lot at night...up all night...and went on a walkabout to see how loud it was. After I turned the first curve on the driveway, I could no longer hear it. But in the winter with no foliage to help break up the sound, I would rather keep my genny quiet...just to be sure.[IMG][/IMG]

For the Love of Cats

domeguy, we have a few round houses around here... look into vinyl gutters, they'll wrap around easily!

milk jugs can be used, but only short term. rince them well immediately after emptying, but they are so thin, they will allow air in and 'spoil' your water very quickly.

Oh, and as for your wife's hairdryer... get one of these:

http://mlibart.tempe.gov/media/full/THM_80_17_124.JPG

shave her head while she sleeps... all good!

Oh, and as for your wife's hairdryer... get one of these:

http://mlibart.tempe.gov/media/full/THM_80_17_124.JPG

shave her head while she sleeps... all good!

Sniper...I like the way you think...this even fits in with my low power usage.

For the Love of Cats

mwahahaha!

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    On the milk jugs, unless it has changed, they contain chemicals that will start to leach out after about 6 months, made for short term use. Since milk won't last that long anyway, it's not an issue. Water jugs that look like milk jugs are of a different plastic, and look different as well.

Also, on the freezer and/or refrigerator: how much you have in it will also affect how long it stays cold. The food inside is a "thermal mass" that also holds temp, whether hot or cold. The more mass, the longer it holds, especially as air warms up rather quickly.
    Therefore, a full freezer will stay cold longer, all other things being equal, than a nearly empty one. Also, as you deplete the food inside, it will slowly warm up faster each time it is run to re-cool it.
    This also means that the rest of the time, when the lights are on, the freezer/refrigerator is more efficient when full or nearly so. It won't run nearly as often, all other things being equal, such as how often the door is opened, etc.

ETA: I remember what movie "Shall we play a game?" came from.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    As for emergencies here, there isn't a whole lot natural-wise. There is hurricanes, but they don't just "show up", and neither does a snow storm. Those don't show up hardly at all anymore, as opposed to when I was a child.
    There have been a few mild earthquakes, over my lifetime here.
    It flooded once, almost 40 yrs ago. I mean a real flood, city shut down because almost every road was a river.

The biggest thing that comes to mind was hurricane Isabel, which put us out of power for a full two weeks. Water was spotty for most of the first week. It wasn't summer or winter (can't remember spring or fall), so temps weren't terrible. We did not, and still don't have a generator. If you could get to it, ice was being handed out, but it was hours to maybe get some, we didn't bother. We just pulled out the lanterns, put the camp stove on top of the electric stove, and lived pretty much as always, just no tv. Used the grill or camp stove (or both), windows were open, so no fumes issue. Went to bed earlier. Ate what we could out of the freezer, lost the rest.
    When the lights came back on, it almost kind of sucked. Except I think I was the only one who really didn't care one way or another about the cold shower part.

We did have a "partial emergency" once. A kind of freak storm blew in and dumped a load of rain which temporarily flooded parts of town, which included us. The furnace was under the house, in the crawlspace, and got flooded, and was fried. It was the beginning of November. We didn't have $8000 for a new furnace, but because we lived in a flood zone, we had flood insurance, and filed under that. Had to wait for the appraiser to come from another state, and file his paperwork. We got our new furnace in mid February, as I recall. Slept under a lot of blankets, acquired and used a kerosene heater, so constantly had to go get fuel.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.