Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Prepping Dynamics

I'll most likely shit myself

We do appreceiate your efforts in keeping things running smoothly from that perspective.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Sorry Ive been late to the party, had a lot going on with the oldest son graduating Army Boot Camp and starting AIT.

Anyways, back to the original question. Ive thought about it a lot since I read it a few days ago, even to the point where I asked a few friends what they thought. I got the gambit from "extreme survivalists to prepper. Im not quite sure I can peg a label on it to be honest with all of you. I have more than my fair share of ammo and guns, and skillsets to use them proficiently. The people I surround myself with all do as well when it comes to the men and most of the women. We all know how to shoot handguns, pistols, shotguns, and we even usually make a fun event out of shooting golfballs at a long distance sitting on empty beer cans that the womenfolks seem to always beat us at every time we play. Does that make us survivalist?

As im sitting here looking at the pantry, and writing down or mentally tallying what I need to replace the food stocks used up over the week, I think I am more of a prepper in the fact that a good portion of my time money effort and skills these past few years has concentrated on upping my food storage along with canned goods, dried/deydrated goods, and learning how to rotate stock so that I will always have everything in its place. I also look at how as the children get older, some food supplies probably wont be needed and I can start cycling them out. By this definition, am I more of a prepper, than a survivalist?

Here at the end of the month, my business partner is coming out and purchasing the land we need to get our business up and running. Some details have changed, but he and I have talked about things he and I want to do with the property. Theres a 2 year old house on it that ultimately wife, kids and I will be living in after he builds his house in a few months. As I look at the property, I think about all the items we both agreed on. Hand water pump drilled and placed in a central location between the houses. Solar panel systems to provide electricity and a windmill to power the battery bank. Beekeeping supplies, a gasoline and diesel storage facility. Clotheslines for the laundry, possibly digging and putting in a small acre sized pond stocked with tilapia or small panfish. We already have the garden plots laid out where we want them, and we know what kind of animals frequent the property as a renewable resource. All this coupled together, I think "homesteader" is a more appropriate label if you will.

All told, Im not quite sure what you would label it and where I would fall in. Part survivalist, part prepper, part homesteader? I worry about my childrens future, and do what I can to ensure their safety, viability, and happiness for the future. Is that the main reason I prep? Of course not. Is it a large factor, you bet. Ive seen what happens firsthand to countries when they implode and self destruct either from too much freedom, or not enough freedom. I know enough about the inner machinations of our government and the ruling body to be very wary of it, and I know enough to have an exit plan in case one of those people decide to actually put a stupid plan in action that they are always talking about. I want to ensure my survivability, my familys, my circle of friends because to me they are my family.

Why do I do this? Not out of plain old fear, and yet, its a healthy fear and respect for that fear that I do this. Ive seen enough to know how bad it can get, Ive experienced enough to know we are on that same path that others before us have been on before things went south for them, and I want to provide a solution, an option, a way out if you will, within my circle of influence. I want them to have the same options that I do, and since they are of a similar mindset, I would like to think they all think the same as I do. Either way, I dont think I could define myself by a label. Im part survivalist, but non-extremist in my mindset, part homesteader, and part run of the mill prepper. I have the ability to become any of them, and yet I am all of them at once. Maybe you can say, Im a Hybrid?
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    Maybe you can say, Im a Hybrid?
    Maybe you are what you claim, but the question is as of now unanswered: Would you spoon with another man in a sleeping bag to prevent hypothermia? Do you want to go winter camping with me?

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

I call big spoon.
    I'd do it, and just so happens I bought a zipper repair kit today....just in case. I call big spoon.

If you get cold enough, you wouldn't care who you were spooning with.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Yeah buddy, that aint no shit!

3 off us got together and combined all our gear... ponchos and poncho liners and logged up against each other for the night. We got rained on all day and were soaking wet. Me and my bro Leonard were on the ends, DeVilla was in the middle. DeVilla was the only one to stay covered up all night, Lenoard and I fought over the blanket every waking moment. I swear that was one of the most miserable nights I ever had... Plain and simple, cold and wet sux to the max.

EB

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oif0709 View Post
    I call big spoon.
    blushing
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

I call big spoon.
    absolutely.

Do you have a robot?
    Domeguy get well....take a bottle of whisky and two aspirins and go to bed. Make sure you save the aspirins for the morning you will need them. The whiskey should kill all the bugs.

Labels.........prepper, survivalist, doom and gloom or are people just being smart. I like to think we are all just being smart. I too worry about my kids and what is in store for them. All I can hope it I gave them a good enough foundation for them to survive when I'm not around.

I do have a pet peeve about this forum and that just about everyone is way out east. No I am not about to move and I sure know there is none of you dumb enough to move to the left coast. Socal guy is way south and Grumpy moved out so we are pretty much on our own out here. There is times when I feel like a fly in milk out here.

Soooooooo as for me this place it a link to sanity......or at least I think it is....

Not so sure about sanity...that's not the first word that comes to mind.

EB, being wet sux regardless awake, asleep, or trying to. It is miserable. Hiking around here, the humidity is so high and I sweat so badly, I have actually stayed dryer with no rain gear at times than wearing it. In cold weather that is a hard call to make sometimes.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Maybe you are what you claim, but the question is as of now unanswered: Would you spoon with another man in a sleeping bag to prevent hypothermia? Do you want to go winter camping with me?

EB
    Spoon with another man to prevent hypothermia... hell yea, stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues. Mountain Warfare Training Center, Bridgeport California taught me that little trick in life. I did USMC recon beach raid training in Coronado Ca in January. When I talk about water sports, Im talking about us peeing on each others wetsuits to heat up the water so a guy wouldnt go hypothermic. Yea, Ive been peed on by 10 guys, best damn group of guys a Marine could ever ask to watch over him too.

You sure you want to go winter camping with me now?
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.