Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farm fresh eggs

For the Love of Cats

Farm fresh eggs

I just got a line on some again and have a few dozen on the way for Tuesday, including a couple dozen duck eggs and a turkey egg.

I haven't had duck eggs in about 30 years so am really looking forward to them, but I have never tried a turkey egg. Anyone here eat them? Aside from being bigger, any differences? preparation techniques? recipes?

Who does what with any type of eggs? besides the standard fried? First things first I am going to try to medium boil a couple of duck eggs (my old favorite way) so you can peel it like a hard boil, but the yolk is gooey and warm like a soft boil. Anyone have a cook time estimate?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    Soft boiled eggs are excellent. We used to raise mallard ducks, the eggs were blue and had a deep blood orange yoke, they were the best. Since we had so many at the time and were always broke my mom would make custards for deserts since it cost almost nothing. You can't beat fresh custards unless you are making creme brulee.

For the Love of Cats

Got any tried and trusted recipe's? I may be akin to a chef, but not when it comes to dessert!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Duck eggs are better boiled than chicken eggs. Chicken eggs are better IMO fried than duck eggs. I bring the water to a boil, then cut the heat and leave covered for 14 minutes.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

For the Love of Cats

That's for hard boiled Helo? I'm trying to remember, but I thought it was under ten for the gooey yolk on the duck eggs, but it's been too long

I may have to number a half dozen and try pulling them out at timed intervals to find the sweet spot!

Yeah, I never tried to do soft boiled. I like my yolks cooked.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Eggs! We get our eggs from a farmer out here. She raises ducks and chickens.

Sorry Sniper-T never had turkey eggs.

Just ran across a technique grilling eggs over easy. I make it to where the yoke is warm and almost coagulating. The secret is simple heat a surface to the desired point (cooking) and cut an onion ring to the height of where it will contain the egg white and yolk. Then crack the egg and dribble the white portion around the inside of the onion ring so it will firm up and plug the area that isnt flush with the heating surface. Flip when it almost reaches the desired consistency and finish the other side. Remove the onion ring or place it on a biscuit with a slice of sausage and enjoy a sausage egg onion biscuit that is way better than Micky D's.

We had turkey, the eggs IMO taste just like chicken eggs just a lot bigger.

For the Love of Cats

I do something similar with sweet bell peppers. cut rings about a half inch thick, get them started in a greased pan. crack eggs into a bowl with grated cheese, minced onion, ham, etc... Once the peppers are simmering, fill them with the egg mix, then pour 1/8 cup water into pan around and cover. when eggs are almost done, flip and recover for a coupe minutes.
    Serve between whatever, but I like French toast, cooked with taco seasoning and a slice of avocado.

Do you have a robot?
    Sniper I don't have any tried and true recipes sorry. You should be able to get a good custard recipe off the internet.

BTW if you truly want a nice omelet, a real hard boiled or soft boiled for that matter try goose eggs, they are huge.