Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you know how to cook.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    if i didn't, i'd starve. mom taught me well as a kid, along with sewing, laundry, ??? LOL she always told me 'some woman is going to see your skills and snatch you up'. she was right, the LAZY ONES!
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

Walking on Sunshine

Da hubs does ok, I did most of the cooking while he and I worked but with him retired, he's been trying to create stuff using the food storage. He put together a GREAT casserole using canned goods and a bit of garlic powder. Now if I can just get him to remember to tell me what we are getting short on stuff he uses up.. LOL
    His Mom taught ALL 5 of her boys (before their baby sis was born) to cook, clean sew and do laundry.Both my boys are great cooks And yes I made sure they know how to sew, clean and cook.Both DIL's are so grateful that they don't have "helpless" males in the house.

Premium Member
    We both cook. Songbird is a great cook from the north and she's learned some southern cooking over the years as well. I do all the grilling on my Big Green Egg and love doing it. I also love to make pies.

I need to learn more about cooking from total scratch though.
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Grill Meister here! If there is a type of food.. I will grill it. Awesome Pizza made on the grill. Make crust 1st and then.. ohh sorry mind was wandering. Wife is an awesome cook/baker and I can only grill. Am told that I make to big of a mess in the kitchen..

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Just finished Chicken & Dumplins (Its how we say it in the south)

Big pack of boneless chicken breast tossed into 1 big can of cream of chicken soup and 2 big boxes of chicken broth. Cooked on low in oval crock pot for 10 hours.

After I came home, I brought a big pot of water to a hard boil, unpacked a can of Grands biscuits and cut each into quarters with a pizza cutter... dropped half a can in at a time and cooked for about 4 minutes.

Add dumplins (Its how we say it in the south) to crock pot and serve.

Before you cook the dumplins, season to taste with salt and pepper.

Chicken melts in your mouth, dumplins are wonderful, broth is delicious.

Cost is about $20 or so, feeds 4 with seconds of same portion. (feeds 8).

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

What are these canned biscuits you speak of?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Walking on Sunshine

Willie, Maybe this will help you. It how Mom & Pop taught me and the siblings and how I taught my boys to cook from scratch.
    I'm lucky in the fact I got my mom's old cookbook (late 40's early 50's) she taught me to start with a simple recipe from the book. The cookbook didn't have a lot of open a can of whatever and mix together recipes. It dealt with basic ingredients and how to put together dishes. So if some of your older family members has an old cook book you can borrow, pick a recipe. Gather the ingredients and your utensils, measure cups, spoons, etc. Make the recipe EXACTLY as you see in the book, that is your base recipe. Eat it but think how it tastes. Do you like a little more spice, little less, do you need to increase the basic recipe to feed more than what it says it feeds? Make it another time but adjust the spices, herbs, etc to your taste and # of people, Pop used to pencil in the margins his adjustments for increasing the recipe to fit our family of 7 IE: teaspoon and half more of this, 1/2 cup more of this. Once you get a feel for how you like something, you'll be able to take basic ingredients and "create" meals. It may sound simple but it is a matter of trial and error. Yes I've had a lot of fails over the years so did the boys (thank heaven for PB&J,Grilled Cheese, LOL) but if you keep on it, you'll surprise yourself. If you can, just play in the kitchen with spices, herbs. Get to know which ones go together, which need to stand alone in a dish. Most of the time you'll be able to remember what you did for a favorite dish and will be able to put it together with ease, if you keep practicing. Yes I have had to toss somethings , even the dog turned his nose up at them they were that bad

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    What are these canned biscuits you speak of?
    right??? we in the 'south' make them from scratch. must be a YANKEE thing???
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Canned biscuits make a fast and easy dumplin, was going to make from scratch but the other 2 residents like the butter biscuit dumplins, so....
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Hate to say it but Grands taste good but wont make it once the fridge is gone. MRE will only go so long till one you start eating grass for flavor or you run out of em.

Katrina has it right I think start messing with spices and learn more about their flavors that they impart. Honestly I feel that my wife and I have awesome skills with food. And that in a SHTF moment will make it more bearable.

Speaking of survival I just got a hold of a book that I suggest to you with the highest recommendations: "The Wild Wisdom of Weed by Katrina Blair"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4HSN0r-Eo

She lives in Durango Colorado. It will surprise you what can be fixed. Granted I like meat with a side of meat but if there is none at the moment of hunger..