Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Do you know how to cook.

Do you have a robot?
    Katrina I was lucky too and got all my mom's cookbooks. All four of my sisters are good cooks and did not want them, their loss. I got one small little red book, no not Mao's, that is a chefs book from the 1800's which gives all sorts of substitutes you can use when supplies are low. Cookbooks are awesome, it is one of the things my wife and i agree on. We have two cabinets full of cookbooks. When we did a remodel we culled a bunch and they went up north to the cabin. One thing I have a bunch of is wild game cookbooks, I also have put together a loose leaf binder of our own favorite recipes.

finally pooped
    My problem with the cookbooks I inherited is that half of them are in German. Really pisses the wife off trying to use google translate to switch the recipe's and then use a converter to put them in imperial instead of metric.

I am trying to find some good cookbooks for north america wild game cooking and using only wild found herbs for seasoning when cooking. Anybody got a line on one?

Do you have a robot?
    It just give you a reason to go to Germany to get some real instruction and translation. I suggest maybe in October........say around Octoberfest......

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by jamesneuen View Post
    I am trying to find some good cookbooks for north america wild game cooking and using only wild found herbs for seasoning when cooking. Anybody got a line on one?
    This site used to be exactly what you are looking for, I printed craploads off of it back before it was a sign up thing. Not sure what else has changed, but you can check it out...

http://www.allnaturalseasoning.com/
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    Realist, I speak German fluently. It's my wife that doesn't.

ST- thanks but I'm not even sure how to sign up for it?! lol. I am trying to get my library up to snuff. I know that Sage is a great seasoner for a lot of things and smoking things will give a ton of flavor.

I'll most likely shit myself

Have the wife try "babblefish" it is one of the best translators I have found. Where I used to work ur equipment was built in Germany. All manuals and drawings were in German. Babblefish saved my butt more than once.

Walking on Sunshine

realist, I too have a book from the 1800's. It's more of a "mini" encyclopedia of subjects. How to identify the different cuts of meat, Math, Music, Handwriting lessons. The societal rules, when to call on someone, leaving calling cards, how to "lay" a table, etc. "Japanese or Oriental" fighting aka judo. How to speak German, Spanish, French. It's fascinating to see how my great grandparents had to live and the societal rules back then. Son 1 and 2 used it as a resource for their respective history classes in high school. Yes they did get A's on their essays.

Do you have a robot?
    James by you wife not knowing the language means you get a say, which is more than I get around her......I don't recommend you go without her though.

Katrina, so true it is really amazing what our parents and grandparents used without all the synthetics and simple things.

Bacpacker I'm going to take a look at blabberfish. You said they had drawings, that is good I read pictures real well. Thanks

I'll most likely shit myself

Spelling is BABBLE FISH

The drawings I was referring to was our Schematics and blueprints. We were able to translate the wording to make identification possible.

For the Love of Cats

^2 on Babblefish.

Awesome program!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.