Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grey man backpack

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Just in case it might have gotten missed, GREY is not necessarily the color grey, but to blend in with the surrounding...
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

I want to extend a big thanks to everyone who has contributed so far. I'm in a small mountain town, so hunting camo and fishing vests are pretty commonplace, not to mention ski bags which could easily hold a rifle and a good amount of kit.

I'm going to keep shopping around, hopefully soon I can make a thread detailing what I ended up with.

Do you have a robot?
    Mega that is another thing you want to pick you gear by where you live. The camo might not go in the city but in the country that is a different thing. Just like desert camo and woodland don't necessary work in the same areas.

As to the cost of bags I have purchased real good quality bags. If I need them, I want them to be the best because I might not have another chance. I have in the past cut corners and the bags gave out real quick. I know they are not for everyday used. Not only are my bags going to get me to where I want to go but I they are ready for plan B also.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    I was thinking since I like my ILBE so much, Id stitch up a bag cover from maybe maroon nylon with an elastic band to slip over the bag, cammoing the camo.. until such time as I need the camo and I simply pull the cover off.

Plenty of ideas here...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ruck...w=1024&bih=471

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

Considering your area, your 'grey' might be neon green. The best way to blend in where you are is to look around, see what everyone else has and buy to suit. You can add pouches and velcro to the inside of any bag to organize it or even a full molle setup. from the outside no one would know. For that matter a full molle pack with a nice colourful rain pouch over top could give you the best of both worlds.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I think I'm going to grab myself a Kelty Peregrine 29 in brown. It seems to be the most suited to my needs. It's not too military looking but retains the utilitarian function. As I said before, I'm in a small mountain town where camo is worn daily, and earth tones are the predominant color of clothing.

This bag is for a worst case scenario where I have to ditch my vehicle and walk the 10 miles back home. If I'm on the road, I would rather appear as an unassuming fisherman. If I have to go through the woods, I want quick access to extra gear in case I run into any 2 or 4 legged predators.

Unless anyone can talk me out of this Kelty pack, I'll be ordering in the next few days.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaCPC View Post
    I think I'm going to grab myself a Kelty Peregrine 29 in brown. It seems to be the most suited to my needs. It's not too military looking but retains the utilitarian function. As I said before, I'm in a small mountain town where camo is worn daily, and earth tones are the predominant color of clothing.

This bag is for a worst case scenario where I have to ditch my vehicle and walk the 10 miles back home. If I'm on the road, I would rather appear as an unassuming fisherman. If I have to go through the woods, I want quick access to extra gear in case I run into any 2 or 4 legged predators.

Unless anyone can talk me out of this Kelty pack, I'll be ordering in the next few days.
    You certainly can't go wrong with a Kelty!
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!

For the Love of Cats

Unless I'm missing it.. there is no internal frame on that one. Which means all weight is hangng on your shoulders, rather than being distributed to your hips. With any load, you'll be cussing it after 2 miles, never mind 10. frames make a pack comfortable rather than a burdon...

IMO
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

You bring up a very good point T, although I'm not sure I'll be carrying enough weight to warrant the extra support. I don't think I'll exceed 20lbs in this bag. It's just a pack to get me up the road enough to where I have uhh, help.

I'll have a liter or two of water, water filter and tabs, fire kit, fishing kit, some extra magazines for my carry gun, a tarp and some 550 cord for shelter, and a larger utility knife for general bushcraft and wood processing. I might throw in a .22 pistol for shits and giggles.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaCPC View Post

i read the specs and it looks good to me. i like the fact it is 'hydration compatible'. i would look around on Ebay and see what's available there. you can find good deals, if the person has no clue as to what they have. just sayin'. BTDT
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy