Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grey man backpack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

Grey man backpack

I did some searching but some fresh opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in need of a sturdy medium sized backpack for a GHB. I have a few other setups but they are more of the tactical type, and they would probably scream "shoot me I have cool stuff" in the event I'd have to hoof it home.

Simple criteria here:

Well made and sturdy
    No MOLLE webbing, or very minimal
    Not in a camo pattern or military color (no coyote, etc, a dark green or grey is my preference)

There are a good amount of options out there that I am looking at but if anyone has any experience or advice, I would be grateful.

I think the problem with a new pack and your desire to go gray is that the pack will look...new.

Check out garage sales, thrift stores, etc for used, somewhat dirty gear, and blend in even better.

For the Love of Cats

The Mrs has one like this, and loves it...

http://www.mec.ca/product/5035-774/b...10+50131+50600

you can always 'dirty' up a bag to make it look less appealing.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Premium Member
    Mega, check these out. I have the Trail Hiker Backpacks for GHBs and my son and daughter-in-law have the Teton 3400 for him and the
    K-Cliffs Castlepine for hers. For the money, all these very well made.

http://beprepared.com/trail-hiker-backpack.html
    http://beprepared.com/outdoors/backpacks.html
    Last edited by Willie51; 02-20-2015 at 09:01 PM.
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!

Bacon saver

I think if you find something in a load bearing, durable material, solid color, not overly gaudy, and comfy. Then you should be good to go. Spend the money on durability. Just my roll-a-quarters...........
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Administrator

Some of the higher end hiking day packs have muted colors and have plenty of pockets for your GHB essentials.
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

I'll most likely shit myself

Take a look at Osprey brand backpacks. My wife got one for day hikes. it is one of the most well designed packs I have ran across.

For older used packs, look for Kelty, Jansport, Lowe. I have Kelty and Lowe that I have used for many years, Both are pretty much bomb proof and are well designed and comfortable to carry.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    There are SEVERAL packs that meet your needs. Not to sound smart, but look for one that cost at least $125 if buying new, then you will be assured no matter the maker it will be a good unit! You want a large padded waist belt, I myself prefer the Alps packs in forrest green because I want my pack to blend... I do not want blue or rust color, etc... Its non tactical, totally civilian but GREY in every sense of the word.

I wear either green or brown denim pants I get from Tractor Supply (Schmit brand I think...), again, non tactical but 100% blend. The only thing I take that is camo is a USGI bivy bag and my USGI USMC field tarp, because once I lay down I want to be low profile.

I also run the Hill People gear bag on my chest, it stows my M&P 40 or 357mag, plus any ditty I want and I clip my GPS (Garman Dakota 20 with topo maps) to it.

You can stay on trail and be like anyone else, or wonder 100 yards and never be detected.

This might be more than you asked for but I thought others might benefit.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

finally pooped
    HILL PEOPLE GEAR!!!!! gotta love it but almost all of it has the tacticool look.

My GHB is simply an old school medic field bag. looks like a laptop bag. Nice part is that I sewed straps and a zipper on it so I can wear it like a normal backpack.

For the Love of Cats

As it is, it isn't very 'greyman' but with a light windbreaker over top, it would be more concealed than any pack and distributes the weight better too...

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Frogg...nder-Pack-Vest
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.