Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Machines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Sewing Machines

I am looking into geting into the world of sewing but have'nt touched a machine since 8th grade home ec class. Can anybody suggest any decent starter machines/brands to go with. Also, are there any good websites to get a refresher course on basic sewing machine ops?

I would also like to see what creations you have made. That is if you feel like sharing of course.
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    i can recommend Singer. Momma has a few and yes i know how to use them and no i won't post pictures. the last thing i made was a shirt back in the early 90's. we used to be in the Craft Store/Sewing Shop business. but i have fixed several things. i forget the name of the Serger she has. it's not hard to do. with most things it takes practice.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

For the Love of Cats

one word... Singer!

you can get a non powered foot treadle machine for next to nothing that will... and has lasted forever!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    one word... Singer!

you can get a non powered foot treadle machine for next to nothing that will... and has lasted forever!
    maybe up there in the frozen north, the 'Bubba's' down here think they worth their weight in GOLD!
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

Do you have a robot?
    Try looking at Baby Lock. I have bought two for the better half. She has a serger and embroidering machine too. As to a beginning one, I'm not sure if they will fit the bill, you will have to take a look. I bought them for her so she could ease into retirement. She did start out with a Singer and I would think you could get one pretty cheap. I want to warn you once you get hook I think some of these things can be like heroin. She came home the other day and told me about a new type of machine for embroidering. All you have to do is take a picture and the machine will copy it to the material, however it ONLY costs $8,000!! I think we will wait on that one.

Years ago I bought a treadle sewing machine, but have not used one. There are Singer and Whites and probably others too. It is amazing you can get whatever supplies they need. One of our local stores has several for about $200 to $300 completely refurbished. I originally got mine to work on leather and heavy cloth but have yet to get around to it. The wife is not interested. If you want to travel out here I can make you a deal on it.

One thing I highly recommend is you need to go into some of the sewing stores in your area. We have three and they all have classes and are very helpful. All of the stores repair machines and have used ones. They might be able to tell you what is the best way for you go. BTW some of the classes the stores will supply the machines so you do not need to have one to participate.

Bacon saver

Here are some examples of two that I restored. The first is a Singer Model 66 "Red Eye" for LadyHK. $60 Patina intact! Smoooth as silk and tough as nails you can sew through four layers of terry cloth and light leather. The second is a Singer Model 29 Cobler.$200 This one had a complete make over. LadyHK was upset with that. But once I cleaned it up it was too far gone, too much bare metal for me. So I gave it my best, all new wood (black walnut) had to fabricate the table from pictures I found. Came out pretty good I reckon. As for what we have made with them. Once I did my work tuned and timed them, I was off to my other projects............this might not be what you're looking for but you'll never find a better machine. They are both over 100 years old if that tells you anything.

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Administrator

Kudos to your craftsmanship BWR. Very nice! I have heard of the older machines operating flawlessly for generations. They just don't make them like that anymore that's for sure.
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Do you have a robot?
    Very nicely done. You do good work, I'll be send you mine tomorrow.........

Bacon saver

Maybe one day I'll have time to do some leather work. But hey, I have the right stuff! Thanks for the compliment, I try, I was a seamstress in the Navy doncha know!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

I'll most likely shit myself

I've never saw a model 29 before. Fine looking machine! Both of them are actually. The model 66 is more like what I've seen around here.