Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: let's talk about expiration dates on foodstuffs

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.

let's talk about expiration dates on foodstuffs

i searched this topic and couldn't or find the answer i wanted. so off too the masses for an answer.

mom and i were out the other day and stopped in a 'discount store', not really my thing,but. she wanted to look for???

she knows i like Gatorade and they had some in the 2.5 gal package for $1. it was out of date by 1 yr and a mo. she also found some Ball Canning mixes that were $.25 and out by 1 yr and 6 mo. i am all for saving a $1 on something, but at the risk of becoming sick? NOT!

she assured me the 'date thing' is for the Manufacturers use? i still have a little voice in my head saying, ' it's bad, you'll get sick '. i always figured the date was there for a reason, so i follow it.

any thoughts?
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

I call big spoon.
    I make it a habit to grab a couple cans and other food items every time I go to the store. Tuna in oil and crap like that is dated for 3 to 4 years. I was looking at tuna helper but it's shelf life wasn't long.

I've toyed with the idea of vacuum sealing things like that and adding dry packs to try stretching the shelf life. I've got some cans of dry food I just add hot water to, though they're 8 servings and should be used within a few days of opening, so I may portion those out.

I've got to look at what I have but soup and stuff is ok for a few years. I think ive got potatoes as well.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

If you open it and it smells fine, it won't hurt you. I don't worry much about expiration dates on most items.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

For the Love of Cats

It is a manufacturer legal thing! To limit their liabilities. Do they still say 'Expiration' on them? Or do they say 'best before'?

How can a can of whatever be good today, but due to a date on the can be garbage tomorrow?

Open the can, smell it, if it smells fine, eat it!

I have cans in my pantry 3+ years 'expired', And I have no qualms about eating them.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    It is a manufacturer legal thing! To limit their liabilities. Do they still say 'Expiration' on them? Or do they say 'best before'?

How can a can of whatever be good today, but due to a date on the can be garbage tomorrow?

Open the can, smell it, if it smells fine, eat it!

I have cans in my pantry 3+ years 'expired', And I have no qualms about eating them.
    slow down big papa!

'expiration'... i know what 'best before' means... i didn't eat it fast enough. not in cans, plastic bags and the spices are in paper/foil pouches.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    If they are both a dry powder mix, and the packages are in good shape, IMHO, I'd say you are good to go. Both are made and packaged by reputable companies, one I worked for for years, and they both take food safety very seriously.

Do you have a robot?
    i can tell you trail mix six months old tastes like crap. Anything out of date with peanuts starts to taste rancid. Peanut butter will go little longer. as to pasta type things the pasta is ok it is the mix that goes bad so make your own
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

I'm planning on cooking a can of beans tomorrow for breakfast that "expired" last month. I've got some tuna and salmon in cans that "expired" back in 2012, we'll see if they're any good. Once an item passes two years it's a little iffy for me personally, but I would guess that if the seal is good, it won't hurt you. It might not be as tasty though!

Preparedness problem #127: finding that stash of canned fish you hid and forgot to log the dates.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    If it looks and smells ok I would use it.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/...product-dating

For the Love of Cats

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.