Thread: New Camp Knife

Thinks it might be German

New Camp Knife

I have a few knives, but I don't like to spend a lot of money on them.
    I know the old saying "You get what you pay for" applies to blades probably more than just about anything else, but I just can't seem to find justification in my budget for a $300 Falkniven, Fantoni, or Reeves... Not saying they aren't worth it... Just too rich for my lifestyle and needs.
    I found this Schrade SCHF9N on sale for $40.00, did a little research on it, and decided it might be a good buy. After replacing the crappy shoe string tie down with some 550, and adding a little more 550 to the tang, it was more to my liking. A light dusting with a "shooka shooka" can of krylon made the jet black nylon sheath a little easier on my eyes.
    The sheath pouch doesn't hold much, so I decided to pack it with a few minor FA items and a magnesium fire starter.
    I'll try to put together a review, as soon as I get a chance to actually use it. I think it's going to be a pretty functional blade. It's a VERY solid build.

The blade is 6.5" (High Carbon SS)
    Overall is 12.5"
    Weight as it sits with sheath is a hair over 20oz. (Heavy!)

Questions, comments, suggestions welcome.

The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

Do you have a robot?
    The cool factor of having a high end knife is really a draw. I have one which was given to me by my squad when I retired, is a Strider and is build like a brick shit house. The problem is it is etched with our logo and is hanging on the wall. I would love to have another one to take out and really use it but again its the cost. That said your choice is a good one, I have a bunch of Schrades and I use and abuse them. They may not be as sexy but they sure get the job done. The biggest problem with buying on the internet is you can't feel the handle. How does the grip feel? I like the thick tang but at 20 ounces your right its heavy, but I bet it would hole up to some major abuse.

I like the picture:;knife, sharpening stone and band-aids.............

BTW I found a new place for knives this morning and is very reasonably priced called the Knife Center, you might take a look, they are cheaper than Smoky Mountain knives. http://www.knifecenter.com/
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    nice looking blade. i haven't seen or used one yet. i have both factory and customs. for me it's a draw between them. as for my main knife it would be a Buck Strider 888. yes i know it's a collectible and worth money, but i don't collect. i have a 889 Tarani that i am in the process of working over.

as for Schrade they are/were good knives when i was a kid. i carried a Sharp Finger in my Boy Scout career. i still have the sheath somewhere, i lost the knife a few years ago while canoeing. look forward to a review.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy