Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepping for the handicapped

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...

Prepping for the handicapped

I have been debating on if I would start this thread for several years now. I haven't posted this due to my fear of having you thinking I was looking for your pity, or to put myself in the spotlight, as nothing could be further than the truth. All though I am technically considered handicapped, I don't see my self as such. About 2 yrs ago during our Tennessee meet-n-greet, I was approached by someone in the group who wanted to ask formally in the forum about problems a handicapped prepper might face, but was afraid to ask. I say ask anything, because I don't mind telling anyone anything they might want to know. So here is a bit about my life. I had problems with my neck since birth, as I remember my mother telling me stories of how I would cry and throw a fit if I was put on my stomach and had to turn my head sideways. I have a flat spot on the back of my head now from sleeping only on my back as a baby. Lol. But at that time, doctors just said maybe I will just grow out of it. I didn't, and I started having nerve pain at about 14 when I got my growth spurt. In my senior year I was 6'4", and weighed 150, tall and skinny. I always had back and neck pains, and took ibuprofen and muscle relaxers like they were candy for about 30 yrs. As I was approaching 50, I was working in a potato chip factory during the day, and going to night school studying to get a maintenance degree, and at the same time, I was starting a small, home based solar company called Greener Tennessee Solar. Maybe you have heard of it...no...anyone...nope. Because I was only able to get one job in before I had to shut it down. All of the studying, and having to bend my neck down to read was killing me. I was having back spasms that just would not stop. I had to go to the emergency room several times to get injections directly I to the muscles to try and get them to relax. Anyway, I finally went to see an orthopedic doctor, and to make a long story short, I had 3 discs removed from my neck and replaced with cadaver bone and fused together, spaces were the nerves had to be drilled out to give them more room, and had the many bone spurs filed down. They told me to come back when my back got to bad, and they would do the same for it. I was off work for 4 months, had to quit school, and close down my company. When I was able to return back to work, it was only for 5 weeks, as everyday hurt more than the previous. Again to make a long story short, they sent me home as a fall risk, and gave me full disability. Little did I know at that time, I would in 2 yrs be forced to file for government disability by the same company, so now I have become one of those leeches who are forced to live from a government check. Then about 2 yrs later, I started having small seizures that gradually were turning into larger ones. I went to see a neurologist, and was diagnosed with Parkinson's Desease, and with a follow up a few months later I also found I have Altzimers disease starting. He also asked me if I was ever diagnosed with ADD as a child. I told him no, but looking back I would have expected I did, and he said well, you do. Oh goody. Now the fun starts. But I haven't looked at it that way. Luckily I wear a patch that stops the seizures, and i am trying to keep my mind as sharp as possible, and even with the ADD problems, I am trying to keep busy doing wood working in the garage. I just keep losing tools, as I don't remember where I put them. Lol. So enough about me. About 2 yrs ago, my wife read me a posting from another prepper site written by a married father with 3 young children, 1 with a serious handicap which kept her in a wheelchair. He did not go further into what kind of disability she had, but implied it was serious and could never make it without constant supervision. He was basically asking everyone in a serious situation, what should he do. He had to know the answer already, but couldn't bring himself to answer it to him self. There was no way all five of them could make it, and what should he do. Of corse, no one could answer that question for him, as that is something only he and his wife would have to decide. That is but one of the many questions a handicapped prepper, or a caregiver of a handicapped person has to decide. Even in the best of times, the handicapped person is going to face difficulties, but throw in a terrorist attack, an EMP, government collapse, ect., this might very well be the end game. Although I do not have any life threatening problems at this time, take away my medicine, and I don't think I would last more than a month before I would kill myself. I don't think I could take the pain, the seizures, the inevitable failure of my mind and body. Again, I am not looking for any pity, as I am a glass 1/2 full kind of guy. I look at the positive, because right now, I'm fine. But things could change rapidly in a SHTF scenario, but that could be said for every one. We want to be able to stockpile as much medicine as possible, but yet the government and insurance companies won't let us. People who need insulin will die without it. Many people have life threatening conditions that without their medicine, will not make it, no matter how much prepping of food, water, or how well you can make a fire. They will die. And the caregivers will have difficult decisions to make, such as that father I mentioned. He knew the daughter would never stand a chance, but just could not bring himself to admit it to himself. I know there are others on this site who have their own health problems. I am not asking them to come forward and to tell their stories, but just to remind others who are of sound mind and body to remember there are others out there who are going to need a lot of help if the time ever comes. If you are a handicapped prepper, of a caregiver of someone who is, and don't mind sharing your experience, or thoughts of what might come, or just want to give some advice, I would welcome your input. I didn't plan for this to be so long, sorry.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    DG, buddy you have it wrong..... you said, "I have become one of those leeches who are forced to live from a government check." did you pay into Social Security? then it's your money.

now several of you guys/gals know what's up with me, most don't. it's not a secret, anybody asks and i am more than happy to share. anyway this is mine. the condensed version....

i tried College, it wasn't like we see in the movies. drinking, naked pool parties and the like, it was REAL SCHOOL! and it wasn't for me. so i went to work. i had a couple jobs before i found i had a knack for Carpentry. worked 7 yrs 3 for big companies and 4 for myself doing trim packages and building sheds and docks. then i found Electrical work and loved the hell out of it. nothing like seeing LIGHTS working. i have done houses, schools, commercial buildings, shut-downs, industrial work and work on several military bases . fast forward 17 yrs. i was working as a Military Contractor and felt like i had a summer cold, it was late August. the day after Thanksgiving i went to the ER and after a few tests and 45 min. my Dr. comes in and tells me that there are more tests needed, BUT... looks like Congestive Heart Failure, Diabetes w/Renal Complications, Hypothyroidism and High Blood Pressure (already knew this). so an appointment was made with a Cardiologist after spending 10 days in hospital. let me say this, it called 'practicing medicine' for a reason. they don't have a clue. LOL

i was told that i had 16 - 18 months to live. really, you've got to be kidding me? that was 2 1/2 yrs. ago. LOL my Dr. tried to talk me into a transplant, not going to happen. it's a quality of life issue with me. they can't guarantee me any better than 35% success. i'll pass. i am able to do the things i want to do know, just a little slower and at an easier pace. i am good with that.

i was dropped by my employer and had too seek monies else where. my Dr. filed for SSDI for me and in 3 wks. i was good to go. i guess having a life threatening deal takes you to the front of the line. i don't see it as a hand-out, i worked for 27 yrs. and payed into the system. that's what it's there for? now i don't get as much as i need. i get a month what i used too make a week. i have learned to adjust and make due. i am glad i had my big purchases out of the way before this happened. as for prepping long term, 3 -5 yrs. is where i am at. as for being handi-capable, i am, i can go with out my meds for a bit. but that's part of being me, and part of prepping. you have too plan for periods with out. i can do 3 - 4 mo. without any problems, after that i need to start looking for certain meds. i can control the Diabetes, somewhat with diet.

again as Domeguy stated... not looking for sympathy in anyway. i am good with the choices i have made and where i am in life.

eta...

because of my condition/conditions my Dr. insisted i have to live with someone. i was in a 2 bed/2 bath and was happy as can be alone, then hit with this. not big on 'roommates', i talked with my lil'sister and we decided it would be better/cheaper if we found a big house. mom lived with lil'sister, now we live together. nice big house, decent yard to garden, fruit trees and raise bees and i have the master bed with on-suite bath. is it trying at times, sure enough... mom is in her 70's and 'thinks' she knows it all. we get along as well as some, but better than most. do i miss living by myself? sometimes. i guess i could live alone
    Last edited by robsdak; 03-20-2015 at 07:36 PM. Reason: added content
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

Do you have a robot?
    Domeguy I have worked with a bunch of different people from amputees to people confined in wheelchairs. I have taught all these people to shoot. Wheelchairs are an interesting facet of my time teaching. In every case I feel I learned more from them then they from me. The two guys I taught in wheelchairs one could bend forward and the other didn't have the back muscles to bend forward while shooting. We rigged up a sling system to stabilize him and he shot great. The other guy other than not being able to walk was dialed in, he was a great shot. Neither of these guys had any of the new equipment the wheelchair bound have today. I am looking for the time I get to teach a student who has a tracked system instead of wheels for their chair. I have seen built in rests for shooting rifle and shotgun, the sky is the limit. So that is for shooting.

When I built my house I was concerned my mom who was elderly at the time would come to live with us. So we set up the entrances and surround walkways to accommodate wheelchairs. For accessibility there is nothing around here that would be a barrier. Depending upon the person's financial abilities I see there different avenues. The hand propelled wheelchair has some serious drawbacks when going off road. I think if I could afford it I would try my best to get a tracked propelled chair, they have incredible mobility in most terrain. The main problem would be recharging. However I feel this could be over come with solar. A series of lifts both manual and electric could be used to assist in the maintenance of the chair and changing out the batteries. Wheeled chairs have great speed on flat terrain but off road has it limitations.

When it comes to other health problems so many people are dependent on medication I don't know how they could deal with issues if their meds were cut off. As you said the pain would be too much for you. I see that would occur in a lot of people. Unfortunately the prognosis is not good. I can not imaging having a child who is in this situation and have a major disaster which we were cut off from their meds I would be desperate and couldn't do anything but watch them suffer.

I'm not sure it this has help you any. All I can say it good luck.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

For the Love of Cats

This is a toughie. I would doubt if anyone would have a 100% healthy MAG group, now or when SHTF. My MIL has type 2 diabetes, and has to fight with the dr to get more than a months meds at a time, FIL is deaf, and relies on hearing aids to function, My buddy's wife and daughter are picky vegans, ('nuff said )

I have been disabled for 8 years. I have a whole mess of problems with my shoulder (primary) that almost left me on the couch; but industry knowledge and computer skills allowed me to be retrained and I now ride a desk for a living.

I am limited as to what I can do, and suffer greatly if I over do it. My shoulder will separate or dislocate at will. I have a decent supply of painkillers that I take extremely sparingly, so I don't really worry about running out, but if SHTF in a serious way, and life reverts to manual, I'll be aggravating it a whole lot more.

On a plus note, I have an appointment with the Top shoulder surgeon in Canada in about a month. been on the waiting list for 2 years. Not sure if there is anything he'll be able to do, but I am hoping.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I had forgotten Canada has a national health care system. I can't imagine being on a waiting list to see a doctor for 2 years. I hope for the best for you.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    I understand the situations that have been posted. Really I do. Everything stated has a deep impact on all those affected. And it is a constant impact on and in your current moment. I am in a similar situation and fight and push for more every day like you.

All of you that have posted take a moment to comprehend and understand you achieved your position due to your drive and desire. There are only a small percentage that push for the greater outcome and are able to achieve it. There were many that I was witness to that just gave up and receded (?) in recovery. (The went into a negative recovery, got worse)

Those that are on this site are making strides to conquer the next hill that is ahead. Don't feel that you lack in initiative or ability you all excel beyond others.

It would be supportive for us all to get together and team up. We would then be known as the motley crew

My story in short.

Head Injury, coma for 3 weeks, paralyzed the following 3 months on the right side, hospitalized for 8 months and lost short term memory. It is not a disability it is a challenge. My wife is standing with me every step of the way. We were married for only 2 weeks when this happened.

I don't look at this as a life changing event rather a learning experience. Thank you for having me on your team I am honored.
    Last edited by Vodin; 03-21-2015 at 06:39 PM.

For the Love of Cats

Did she wonk you with a frying pan?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Did she wonk you with a frying pan?
    LOL if she was only able to. I was getting a helmet for my bike on that ride. Hit a patch of gravel and spun out of control. I remember everything up to dinner before the ride. And then 4-5 months later I can remember glimpses. She may want to but she has incredible impulse control Sniper-T.

Do you have a robot?
    Well I have to say that I feel blessed having my family and my health. You guys humble me by all the trials you have gone through.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

realist,

They are only challenges when it comes to me and my encounters. I am sure you deal with issues/challenges of another fashion. Everything is an equal view (the same) in anthers eyes because it would be the best/worst of what they have experienced. It basically boils down to how you deal with the situation and this is what makes it what it is.

Sorry for going on the psychological with this but it is how I have experienced it and see it.