Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting the germination process

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Starting the germination process

While I'm on break from school, I wanted to get the germination process going on a small garden. Has anybody used a small growlight or anything else to help it along? Or is it a bunch of pots and soil and making sure the soil is moist? I'm really clueless on gardening in general. Any suggestions would help. It's still too cold to start the garden but I figure by the time the seeds sprout it will be warm enough to start.
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Garden centers carry seed start trays with plastic covers and seed starting soil mix which is sterile. Everything I start is in the sterile medium and we have a 4' fluorescent grow light as well as 2 incandescent lights.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Garden centers carry seed start trays with plastic covers and seed starting soil mix which is sterile. Everything I start is in the sterile medium and we have a 4' fluorescent grow light as well as 2 incandescent lights.
    Do you keep the lights on 24/7?

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 2die4 View Post
    Do you keep the lights on 24/7?
    From about 7am to 8:30-9pm. There is almost zero natural light on the north side of the house where the front room. I am however moving the whole setup to my spare bedroom on the west side in front of the window this afternoon.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

I'll most likely shit myself

Ak is correct. You can also get heat mats to go under the trays to keep a constant temp. Having the domes helps maintain the moisture levels. Be sure and not over water. You can rot the seed.
    Last edited by bacpacker; 03-26-2015 at 11:17 PM.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Here are some ideas.

Grab coffee filters
    Black marker (or any color you like)
    A seal-able container (Ziplock, small rubbermaid w/lid, lunch meat container with lid etc..)
    And paper towels.

Moisten the paper towel and place in your container. Write the plant name on the edge of the coffee filter. Put seeds into the coffee filter. Moisten the coffee filter and place in container. Repeat until the container is 1/2 full. Place in a warm area 65-75Fnd check every few days for seeds sprouting.

Once they have sprouted you can do this with the sprouts and at the end of this they are plant-able.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpNr5T4IJ-g

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Vodin View Post
    Here are some ideas.

Grab coffee filters
    Black marker (or any color you like)
    A seal-able container (Ziplock, small rubbermaid w/lid, lunch meat container with lid etc..)
    And paper towels.

Moisten the paper towel and place in your container. Write the plant name on the edge of the coffee filter. Put seeds into the coffee filter. Moisten the coffee filter and place in container. Repeat until the container is 1/2 full. Place in a warm area 65-75Fnd check every few days for seeds sprouting.

Once they have sprouted you can do this with the sprouts and at the end of this they are plant-able.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpNr5T4IJ-g
    I keep the house between 60-68 degrees regardless how cold it is outside. I'll have to resort to a grow light to bring it up to 70 + degrees

I run an aquaponics system in my basement. I am currently sprouting seeds. The seeds sit on the netting above the water and are under a glass panel. I keep the water at 74-76F Sprouting seeds don't need light. They need light after they are planted in soil.

Place them on top of your refrigerator if you wish to save money.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Vodin View Post
    Place them on top of your refrigerator if you wish to save money.
    I will do that. I never would have thought about the fridge. Thank you. I was wondering how much lights were going to set me back. Now I don't have to.