Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expired drugs

Expired drugs

Excuse me if this has been discussed previously. I searched a bit but failed to find a thread on it.

There has been discussion regarding expiration dates on food items but what about various drugs?

Several years ago I had a horrible back problem and over several months the docs gave me several prescriptions for pain killers, gradually getting stronger from simple tylenol to Dilauded and Morphine, all in tablet or capsule form. Usually they gave something stronger as what had been prescribed a few days before was useless. I have several bottles of pain killers in my medicine cabinet that could be used in an emergency. Or could they? How long do these drugs last beyond the dates listed?

As far as antibiotics go, they are always taken for the full course, usually 10 - 14 days. I don't think I would trust these for more than maybe a year past the date.

Someone with good knowledge of drugs care to enlighten us?

For the Love of Cats

I keep everything that's left over. I don't know if it is smart or not, but I figure if the situation is dire enough to be taking expired drugs, then they'll be better than nothing, and that includes antibiotics (I rarely complete a cycle).

I know that with the painkillers I have, they don't lose their potentcy for at least 5 years (that's the oldest I have and took one last week).

Not saying this is 'right', just my observations.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    I got an overabundance of meds from my back surgery, I vacuum sealed them in 1/4 pint jars with the label inside.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Don't forget about pet antibiotics and pain killers. Every year we buy fish antibiotics and store them in our freezer.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

For the Love of Cats

Why in the freezer? I have a plethora of 'fish-mox' that I just store in a cool dark place. Twice, I have taken them instead of a prescribed amoxicillin, worked great! I would like to know if freezing will make them last longer...

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Why in the freezer? I have a plethora of 'fish-mox' that I just store in a cool dark place. Twice, I have taken them instead of a prescribed amoxicillin, worked great! I would like to know if freezing will make them last longer...
    Because it extends the life. Why not use the fridge while it is working?
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

For the Love of Cats

Uh... Duh!

makes sense!

finally pooped
    Why do they last longer? Lack of moisture in air? Might be a stupid question but there are only a few drugs I know of that need to be kept cold for shelf life and a few that should NEVER be except for desired effects.

three part series specifically concerning expired medicines by Dr Cynthia Koelker MD (Armageddon Medicine)

http://armageddonmedicine.net/?p=517

I have still yet to grow a brain
    I hate to be the bad news bear but

Certain drugs over time lose their effectiveness.

Other drugs will become toxic.

I researched Fish Mox / Amoxicillan
    The old Amoxicillin will not hurt you, but is probably too old to be as effective as it should be

Source: HealthTap, https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/6658432#

And another quote.

A Special Note About Expired Antibiotics

You should not keep expired antibiotics to use at a later date. However, the reason has less to do with the expiration date and more to do with how antibiotics work.

For example, let’s say you have 4 or 5 antibiotic pills left from an older prescription, and you’re thinking that you should keep them and take them later if you start feeling sick again over the winter. This is not a good idea for a number of reasons:

Doing so could actually help the bacteria become more drug resistant.
    A few leftover antibiotic pills are not enough to rid the bacteria from your body.
    You would be self-diagnosing which can be very dangerous. What you think is a bacterial infection requiring antibiotics (because the symptoms are similar to what you had before) may in fact be a viral infection that antibiotics will do absolutely nothing for.

Therefore, when it comes to expired antibiotics, you should always dispose of any leftover pills or liquid antibiotic prescriptions — regardless of the date on the packaging. Antibiotics are one expired medication you don’t want to mess with.

So if you have medications research what you have. And then make the decision.