Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Definition of SHTF?

Walking on Sunshine

I agree with you all, especially EB. The list is great! We had minor problem a few years ago, at which time DH was VERY glad I had insisted on the standby. Son 2 and family came to our house just after grandson was born because the electricity went out here and in the town where they lived for about a week. They didn't have a portable gas generator at the time and couldn't get one but they have one now. It was the middle of winter and while their home was very well insulated, 1920 bungalow, they wouldn't have been able to keep the baby warm. Without the baby, they would have toughed it out, they had a grill so they could have cooked and boiled water if they had to, the toilets still worked. They live about 4 blocks from the grocery store son 2 works at and since son 2 does most everything by cash, he would have been able to get somethings, provided the store was open. If it was #2, they would move here for the duration. I'm working on the third scenario where nuthin works and it ain't ever gonna work, the what am I going to do then type planning. I am feeling so far behind due to health issues (me and hubs) and situation with Son1 and his kids, I get frustrated at times but I get on here and you all help keep me grounded. Like someone once said "It's not a race but a way of thinking and living".

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    I disagree DG... teotwAWKI... key words being, AS WE KNOW IT!!! just because you're thrown back into the 1800's doesn't mean an end... it means an end as you know it... or more appropriately... a change! A Harsh change!
    I disagree with your disagreement because we may be in agreement. Being thrown back to the 1800 wouldn't mean the end, I meant for me, trying to live through an all out nuclear war would be the end for me. I see the fall of our government, or a disaster from which there will be no help not a TOE..., but as SHTF. No water, I can live through, no power, I can live through. No ATM, Walmart, Netflix, Oreos, internet, bank, I can live through...ok, maybe not the Oreos. But the rest I find to be a SHTF ordeal. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    I disagree DG... teotwAWKI... key words being, AS WE KNOW IT!!! just because you're thrown back into the 1800's doesn't mean an end... it means an end as you know it... or more appropriately... a change! A Harsh change!

totally agree .... when it's the true end of the world - human life around the world ends - that's armageddon - a word that preppers should never interchange with any other prepper verbage .... and really of no use to preppers except on a religious/spiritual end basis ....

Do you have a robot?
    Socal man I agree with you. However since we do not have snow, or rain for that matter, I look toward earthquakes as Mother Nature inflicting a SHTF situation with us. I have found in that type of situation, the major population centers are going to get help first and then the outlying areas. We are in an outlying area. When San Francisco was hit by the 1906 earthquake the majority of the damage was from fire. Where I live it was knocked down and turned into a parking lot. Ift I am farther north at my property help may come three or four weeks at most. It is for that reason we plan for not only earthquake but fire also.

For some a SHTF situation could be divorce or for that matter depending on your mind set it could be TEOTWAWKI. However I look at TEOTWAWKI as being something in the neighborhood of an EMP/CME or a nuke. All these will change the way we live and depending upon how you are prepared physically and mentally will determine if you will survive, that is so long as you are not at ground zero. The thing that kills me it people talking about having to get ready for this or that. I started decades ago and I am always adding to what I have or what I can learn all the time, its a way of life. At times it can be overwhelming then you regroup and move on.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

To me if help is available short term form a government or other organization that I would not call that SHTF. When police are around and fire departments and medical help is still close that IMO is not a SHTF event. I have been through many rough times, but never once did I feel like the SHTF. Heck my cell phone still worked through most of it. I would not die (if not killed by the initial even) even if I was not prepared. Preparing just makes you more comfortable in these type events. IMO in a SHTF even if you don't have preparations you will die. This to me is what separates a difficult time to a SHTF event.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I have still yet to grow a brain
    As you can read everybody's definition of the acronym's presented here varies to the person.
    SHTF seems to come down to a persons view of a situation. While it is not 'the big one' it has a large impact on that person.
    TEOTWAWKI on the other hand has the wording denoting that multiple entities are effected. This to me says that things have taken a course that can not expect a normal use of resolutions. This is where one has to think/act/react out of the box to provide the possibility of survival.

Help is another part of the formula. Help could be available in both situations but it is only effective if the person experiencing the SHTF/TEOTWAWKI can use the senses, comprehend the situation and create a resolution.

In both situations death may occur it all depends on how on responds.

And again this answer is coming from another persons view.

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    To me if help is available short term form a government or other organization that I would not call that SHTF. When police are around and fire departments and medical help is still close that IMO is not a SHTF event. I have been through many rough times, but never once did I feel like the SHTF. Heck my cell phone still worked through most of it. I would not die (if not killed by the initial even) even if I was not prepared. Preparing just makes you more comfortable in these type events. IMO in a SHTF even if you don't have preparations you will die. This to me is what separates a difficult time to a SHTF event.

then ... instead of prepping for just SHTFs - you also prep for "hard times" .... it all shakes out in the end no matter how you dice the fruit ....

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    then ... instead of prepping for just SHTFs - you also prep for "hard times" .... it all shakes out in the end no matter how you dice the fruit ....
    Right but if we go through a hurricane and flood I don't say the shtf, I call my insurance company and wait for a check while I clean up. If I get hurt I call 911 instead of stitching my self up. Huge difference IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    Right but if we go through a hurricane and flood I don't say the shtf, I call my insurance company and wait for a check while I clean up. If I get hurt I call 911 instead of stitching my self up. Huge difference IMO.

you're still prepping ... even if it's only garbage bags and a shovel for clean up ....

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    you're still prepping ... even if it's only garbage bags and a shovel for clean up ....
    I have never said I was not prepping. This discussion is on what is the definition of SHTF. Not on if we prep, we all prep, that is part of the reason we are here.

Not sure why you are trying to change it to whether or not we prep?