Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Definition of SHTF?

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    SniperT, yea, Im pretty sure everyone here knows I will follow my conscience, I have no problems doing that. Our unit and I have had these "theoretical discussions" on what to do if the chain of command issues what is deemed an unlawful order, what we would do, how we would react, and what would we do as far as reactionary issues, tertiary issues, and such. I look at it this way, Im going to quietly slip away, secure transportation, unlock the gun box, and use the uniform to its fullest advantage to get to my family and concern myself with taking care of them. I can go easy and quietly, or I can go hard and loudly. Either way Ive got backup and the skillset. But while it wont be pretty, at least I wont be alone because my team will be with me right by my side. Each has their own objective, and will support the team until that time comes that they need to peel off and tend to their own.

Now, Eagle326, you old fart, every time we have a conversation, I instantly revert back mentally to a favorite SHTF movie of mine, The Postman with Kevin Costner. Hes talking to that old grizzled bearded salty war horse and hes asking him "why are you here, you're too old to ride a horse, too crippled to sort the mail... (yea... and I cant see so well either)....so why are you here?" The old fart looks him in the eye and say.."I know stuff" Costner looks at the old guy with a questioning look... "you know stuff?".... "yea.. I know stuff". He stands there, his eyes travel down to the the guys bicep adorned with a faded Army Airborne tattoo, hits a moment of realization and walks away. Old guy lights up a joint...yea, thats what I think of every time I think of you. You know "stuff."

That being said, here the reason why I will someday take you up on half of your offer. I know youre old... you're so damn old you probably smell like stale Smuckers jelly and Coccia Haus pizza... but I also recognize... "you know stuff". You see, Ive been involved in warfare in one form or another for nearly 30 years now, but every single warped ass, crazy, kill-kill-kill thing Ive learned, didnt come from folks in my generation, we had to learn them from people in your generation. And while my guys and I are good at waging war, we will never be as good as the old school. One thing Ive learned, While imitation is the biggest form of flattery, no matter how good you are, you can never be as good as the original. Same applies to Coca-Cola, a mans first piece of ass, his first hunt, his first drunk, his first fight and his first combat kill. Everything after that is chasing the dragon to get that original "high" back. Sure I could use you tactically to draw fire and watch you skitter about on a camouflaged hover-round scooter while taking incoming... and you would probably be cackling to high heaven while its going down around you, ( a sight worthy of a warriors Valhalla no doubt) but to me, that is a serious mis-allocation of resources. The smart man listens to the experienced man, and thats how the smart man becomes experienced. So, sorry to say, if/when the time comes, you know Im going to take you up on that offer, but old salt, you are going to be directing fire for all us young guns, If it makes you feel any better, you can get yourself an old Patton riding crop and dual silver six shooters and a kevlar with a star, and wear an ascot! If you dont have one, Im sure BrownWaterRiverRat will lend you one of his 15....
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    If Der Tag ever comes, in whatever of several forms it could take, there is one sort of backhanded positive aspect out of it... it will show, once and for all, the armchair quarterbacks/closet ephialtes-quisling-arnolds, with less than a half roll of dimes, from the folks that put forth the effort and the sweat and the nerve. Just sort of hope it doesn't cost too many of the latter to expose the former.

Perhaps not the best place to post this, but I would remind all of the Tom Clancy bromide known as Greer's Law:

C %, where C= X2

C% being the chance of a secret being compromised
    X being number of people actually in on the secret in the first place.

EX. 3 people in on a secret, 9% chance it is blown.

Grimly enough, this formula implies that a secret is at least half certain to be blown with 8 people, and definitely blown with 10.

Food for thought. Handy pepto bismol recommended.

Kesephist
    Kesephist... way too much math and calculatin formulas and stuff...

Stormfeathers Law

1- There are three sides to every story, 1) Yours...2) Theirs...3) And what actually happened.
    2- If you kill them, then theres only 2 sides to the story,
    3- When you tell your side of the story, stare long and hard at who you are telling it to. There then becomes only one side to the story.
    4- Always stick to your story.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

For the Love of Cats

dead men tell no tales!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

Old fart knows stuff. That's one to keep in mind.

Does this mean Eagle has a new name? ��

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Storm, i figured you were going to follow conscience. But some wont, and that will make it bad for all.
    If everybody followed conscience, the day Storm mentions wouldnt mean a whole lot, as not much would really happen.

Yes, definitely, the old guys do "know stuff". I try to learn from one whenever i can.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Storm, i figured you were going to follow conscience. But some wont, and that will make it bad for all.
    If everybody followed conscience, the day Storm mentions wouldnt mean a whole lot, as not much would really happen.

Yes, definitely, the old guys do "know stuff". I try to learn from one whenever i can.
    I thought you was one of those "old guys"?!?!?
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I dont know, depends on what qualifies.
    Im not quite 50.
    Yes, i do know stuff, but folks older than me know more stuff.
    Plus, i have never been in the military or been le. So, there is a whole area where i dont know as much stuff as those who have "been there".
    I have studied it all my life, and know more than the average "cake eating civilian".
    I still dont want to be your cannon fodder, though. But then, your ao is a long walk from here.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Do you have a robot?
    Storm your laws are kinda like the title of a book I read long ago, "Three can keep a secret if two are dead."
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

For the Love of Cats

Assuming this film is made off the book... it sounds interesting!

http://threecankeepasecret.com/
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    Storm your laws are kinda like the title of a book I read long ago, "Three can keep a secret if two are dead."
    Believe it or not, those are my Dad's rules, he explained them to me as a young man when the police came to the house to investigate an incident that I was actually involved in as a young and dumb knucklehead. A couple of friends and I went to visit a buddy who wasnt home, and although we had permission to hang out at the house, we didnt have permission to root thru the (then single and VERY attractive) mom's underwear drawer and look/touch/smell her unmentionables... of which one of our friends felt the need to liberate a few pairs for his personal enjoyment, unbeknownst to us. Well, mom came home, thought the house had been broken into, and of course called the police.

Over the years, the rules have refined themselves into what they are today. Ahhh.. the glory of misspent youth.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,