I agree with you all, especially EB. The list is great! We had minor problem a few years ago, at which time DH was VERY glad I had insisted on the standby. Son 2 and family came to our house just after grandson was born because the electricity went out here and in the town where they lived for about a week. They didn't have a portable gas generator at the time and couldn't get one but they have one now. It was the middle of winter and while their home was very well insulated, 1920 bungalow, they wouldn't have been able to keep the baby warm. Without the baby, they would have toughed it out, they had a grill so they could have cooked and boiled water if they had to, the toilets still worked. They live about 4 blocks from the grocery store son 2 works at and since son 2 does most everything by cash, he would have been able to get somethings, provided the store was open. If it was #2, they would move here for the duration. I'm working on the third scenario where nuthin works and it ain't ever gonna work, the what am I going to do then type planning. I am feeling so far behind due to health issues (me and hubs) and situation with Son1 and his kids, I get frustrated at times but I get on here and you all help keep me grounded. Like someone once said "It's not a race but a way of thinking and living".