Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far is too far?: Giving up our rights for safety

How far is too far?: Giving up our rights for safety

Most of us have interpreted events in the past 15 years that have caused us to question the methods that .gov are using to Minority Report us - that is the preemptive crack down on crime, as a sign that we are under attack from within. On the surface many implementations sound good: make it harder for criminals (or terrorists) to do what they do for the betterment of society. But when put into practice, we begin to see the overreaching effects that these laws have on us. This fact hit home in our little hole in the wall city known as Winnipeg.

A 23 year old kid (can't call this loser a man) was detained recently for being an ISIS sympathizer. His Charleswood home (an affluent neighbourhood in the city) was raided, and he was taken into custody. He was detained because CSIS determined that he was showing support for ISIS on social media. Held for 10 days or so, he was released on bail as the crown sought to issue a peace bond against him. 25 conditions were attached to his bail, a few as follows:

Wear an electronic monitoring device around the clock.

Take part in "religious counselling" and forward the counsellor's name to RCMP.

Follow an overnight curfew (from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily) and stay at his home in Winnipeg's Charleswood neighbourhood.

​Surrender any passports he has and not apply for any passport from Canada or any other country.

Not possess any desktop, laptop or tablet computer.

Any cellphone he has must be approved by RCMP, and the phone number must be submitted to police.

Provide passwords and access to his cellphone at the RCMP's request, with "such requests not to exceed two times per month."

Stay away from social media websites, including Facebook, Twitter, Kik, Surespot and Telegram encrypted chat.

Have "no contact or communication directly or indirectly with any member of ISIS, ISIL, Islamic State of Iraq and Syria and Al Qaida in Iraq."

He must also not possess anything bearing the logos or names of any of those groups.

This all sounds good for our safety - anyone found to be supporting or aligning themselves with terror or criminal groups should be arrested, charged and monitored. Lock up the bastards and throw away the key I say. Or at least I would say.

Except that he wasn't arrested. Nor charged. Nor will he be facing any criminal penalties. He was simply released. And placed with a multitude of restrictions. Many have and will argue that it's for the good of society, he is a danger. Isis is evil and all that show support for them should be considered evil. True. However that does not supersede a persons rights, especially if after investigation (and you can bet they were looking for even the most minute scrap of evidence) they could find NOTHING to charge this pos with.

The Reformicons passed a contentious bill in the House of Commons, Bill C-51, the 'anti-terrorism act' that allows this infringement on our rights as citizens. Many of the conditions imposed in this kid attack our charter of rights and freedoms:

-wear an electronic monitoring device:

7. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.

-Take part in "religious counselling" and forward the counsellor's name to RCMP:

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
    (a) freedom of conscience and religion

-Follow an overnight curfew (from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily) and stay at his home in Winnipeg's Charleswood.

9. Everyone has the right not to be arbitrarily detained or imprisoned.

-​Surrender any passports he has and not apply for any passport from Canada or any other country:

6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.

-Not possess any desktop, laptop or tablet computer.

Any cellphone he has must be approved by RCMP, and the phone number must be submitted to police.

Provide passwords and access to his cellphone at the RCMP's request, with "such requests not to exceed two times per month.":

6.2(b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.

8. Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.

-Stay away from social media websites, including Facebook, Twitter, Kik, Surespot and Telegram encrypted chat:

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

-Have "no contact or communication directly or indirectly with any member of ISIS, ISIL, Islamic State of Iraq and Syria and Al Qaida in Iraq."

He must also not possess anything bearing the logos or names of any of those groups:

2.(d) freedom of association.

Does this douchebag deserve these restrictions? Yes, Unquestionably yes, IF he were arrested and charged. He wasn't though. They didn't uncover any evidence to even attempt a court proceeding.

Overall how this entire ordeal was handled is in violation of the following:

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

It's a slippery slope peoples. My friends in the U.S have their own constitutional challenges, much the same as ours up here in canuckistan. And it should worry each and everyone of us that any flippant remark that we say or utter, no matter how 'protected' it should be by our own legal rights and freedoms, can and will be held against us... And it won't even need to be done in a court of law.

Take the passion that ISIS, al-queda , boko haram, the branch Dravidians, or what have you, elicit out of the equation, and what you see is a clear violation against us, the people. The pot is gradually coming to a boil folks. I can only hope the frogs feel the heat before it's too late.

Thoughts? Discussions? Am I a horrible person for calling for equal and fair treatment for this POS?

Do you have a robot?
    Well that situation sucks for him.

As to his conditions I think they are a little extreme, no change that to Draconian.

Religious counseling requirement and then forward it to the RCMP????? WTF well I guess they have taken classes to make them experts on religion. Soooo my question is what are they going to do with the information. Down here confession to a priest is confidential.

Turn over cellphone records, down here there would be riots.

Keep away from social media is not right, they told him to stay away from contacting ISIS so that should cover it, there is no way he could possibly violate that order. I guess going to the library is out too......

So his cellphone must be approved by the RCMP, soooooooooo does that mean they pay the bill???

You folks up there have some interesting gang laws. The last requirement falls under them. Can't have anything with ISIS logos on. Down here when we have gang condition, it includes clothing with colors associated with their gang. Ie. if you are a Norteno, who claims red you can't wear red clothing, they hate blue. It is amazing these people will not wear anything blue at all. Your gang conditions which the laws prohibit prosecute people on what we know down here are RICO statutes. However we have to get the people in custody on some crime you guys just charge them for being in a gang.

ISIS sucks and obviously I do not support them. However I still believe in our free speech down here. If you go over the line and support them other than just free speech then action should be taken. We call that offer or supplying material support to the enemy.

AS screwed up as we are down here I still like it more than where you are at. I can see why people like Sniper move to the great unknown.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    A horrible person, of course not. The rules of a country must be applied fairly across the board, When they are applied unfairly, you no longer have a unbiased gov't.
    The same can be said for the argument about burning the American flag. As a soldier I have to be willing to die for a persons right to burn the very flag that Im willing to die for. Do I like the idea of concept of a person burning the flag, of course not. But I must also accept that as their right to free speech, they can do it.
    What you have described is a violation, plain and simple. Now, if something is or isnt done about it, is a whole different story. At what point does the gov't overstep its bounds, its charter, and its place? And at what point, does the citizenry say... I will not stand for this any longer?

4 Boxes of Liberty: "There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Do you have a robot?
    I'll take a box of that......
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

finally pooped
    Realist, I don't understand what you were trying to say about the RICO. Would you mind clarifying? It seemed like you were saying it can't be used anymore.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    At what point does the gov't overstep its bounds, its charter, and its place? And at what point, does the citizenry say... I will not stand for this any longer?
    WTSHTF. The only reason it took so long before was lack of advanced communications and transport.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    4 Boxes of Liberty: "There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
    This regime has suborned the first three and is trying to steal the fourth.

Washington would be in a rage so towering that he'd be setting fires with his very glance. Adams would be in a frenzy that would make the Tasmanian devil look calm and quiet by comparison. Jefferson would be overflowing the Potomac with tears as he reloaded, and poor Madison would be bald from tearing his hair out and setting the very air on fire with curses for such conduct.

Hamilton, of course, would be trying to sell tickets....

I've stated from my first coming here that I was plain spoken as much as I could be. Them as want to contest my statements above...

Bring it.

For the Love of Cats

As I was reading that, I was thinking: "hmm, if he were in the States, he would probably enjoying an indefinite Cuban vacation..."
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

Well said Keepist

One of my favorite quotes come to mind.

Those who give up a little security for safety, will soon have neither.
    Benmin Franklin

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Im not in a giving up mood for any of my rights... The rest of the thread made me a bit lost...
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Well said Kesephist

One of my favorite quotes come to mind.

Those who give up essential Liberty for a temporary safety, deserve neither and will indeed lose both.

Benjamin Franklin
    FTFY