Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wind, note leaving and emergency blanket thoughts from the weekend hike

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    SF, flagging tape with sharpie is a great idea, I never thought of that!

You can get some Boa radios for dirt cheap on ebay, if there not water proof they can be stored in a freezer zip lock bag. I think for $30 you can have two, and there 1000% better than radios that Walmart sell.

Main thing about the flagging tape, it needs to be communicated with the separating party for them to BOLO for it in the event of an emergency, might be good to have 2 markers so they can have a kit too...

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

It is possible to sleep on the ground, and stay both dry and warm... and comfortable too; but it takes a little prep. If you know you are staying out, and need to sleep on the ground start this asap...

Scratch all the loose material off the ground in an area about 4 feet wide and 8 feet long, in an appropriate area.

Discard all but the top layer, unless fairly dry.

collect several dozen decent sized branches/tree tops, and lay in a tight grid pattern a foot or more off the ground nearby, preferably in the wind/sun.

collect leaves/moss, and lay out on the grid a foot or so thick to dry, toss as salad often to facilitate drying.

collect a good pile of evergreen branches, dead is best, live is ok, hang them in the trees to dry/drain (cut side down) in the sun wind.

Before dark, lay the biggest pine branches down first on your scratched area, and then cover with smaller ones, trim small branches off the big meaty branch to create a 'cushion' on to of the bottom ones.

cover this with the dried leaves/moss from your grid, and you are good to go. You should have enough dried leaves and moss to 'scoop over top of you as a blanket.

If you need to re-use the bed, then the next day scoop up your bedding back onto the grid to re-dry, and re-spread your pine to redry as well. (you will be surprised how damp your 'dry' stuff will be by morning.

I have done this in both late fall and mid winter here (scrape down through the snow to find bedding!)
    If there is a standing dead pine (brown needles) it will suffice to make a complete bed, assuming you can take it all.

No, we're not talking Ritz Carleton, or Paris Hilton kind of snuggly, but warm and comfy! Especially compared to sitting on a root leaning against a tree with a small sputtering fire between your knees.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    SF, flagging tape with sharpie is a great idea, I never thought of that!

EB
    dude, read up a post or two... tape/sharpie thing... that's my trick! That SF b'tard stole it!

rofl!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    dude, read up a post or two... tape/sharpie thing... that's my trick! That SF b'tard stole it!

rofl!
    Didnt steal it... Great Minds just think alike is all! However, looking up at the post, I gave you somewhat partial credit as my post says "as mentioned already" I just didnt name my source. I apologize for poor accreditation and source quote technique!

And how did you know my parents werent married when I was born?!?!?!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    You can register the idea and no one can enjoy it, kinda like the Happy Birthday song... (Gawd, Amerika is gone to da shit)
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

(was away camping with an old friend)

Indeed, the tape & sharpie combo makes a lot of sense, and more than the orange wax crayon would for winter scenarios as only trees may be exposed from snow. Another pair of items to add to the pack...at least this is light! For winter use, are some markers better (or useless?) than others?

Sniper-T, I would like to practice the natural bed method. I have to wonder about dealing with bugs? Of course you'd make sure you weren't near an ant hill, but those guys are everywhere.

I think the multiple stuffed garbage bags are simpler for an unpracticed person and may help prevent damage to an emergency blanket, but the more skills & options the better...