Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wind, note leaving and emergency blanket thoughts from the weekend hike

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wind, note leaving and emergency blanket thoughts from the weekend hike

'mornin!

Sorry to not post more often, but let's take that as an indicator that I haven't had many personal crises to talk about. =)

This past weekend my wife & I plus another couple hiked Helen Lake near Lake Louise in Alberta Canada. Great hike if you can do it - the ridge just past the small lake offers spectacular views at a mere 7km distance from the trailhead.

At that point however, our friends decided to hike to the nearby 'peak' and we'd meet them when they returned. We chose not to join them as a matter of energy & irritable knee management. We withdrew to the lake below and waited. It was one of those days where if the wind stopped it was hot & the bugs would swarm you, so you hoped for the wind. Then the wind came and intensified, plus the sun was blocked out by clouds.

It is to my embarrassment that I must admit the folly of trusting the day would stay warm. Warm apartment, AC needed to drive in, hot without wind so...no windjacket & pants. Classic blunder no member here should get caught making, and I won't make the mistake again. My wife was two measures better than me with zip-on pantlegs and long-sleeve layer, but also no windgear. I'd brought earplugs as I knew wind could cause ear arches but...

Within a short time we realized this was an issue, and I unfurled an emergency blanket to help. It did, as sheltering behind a rock also did, but not enough. So we retreated to below the treeline to wait for our friends after carving notes in the dirt & mud for them. This made visual contact impossible which made me anxious...if they had a problem we couldn't know about it. (they got wind-blasted and chilled hands, but only paused at the top and thus were generating enough heat that they weren't in as much danger)

We also did not know how long their extra hike would take - turned out to be a 3.5hr add-on. It can be impossible to gauge distances in scree/rock terrain.

In summary:
    - I'll be adding a lumber crayon to my pack from here in. Dry dirt doesn't take messages so well, they don't stand out, and it relies on a single trail exit. (I figure regular wax crayons may break with cold hands, thus lumber crayon for reliability) Our friends saw my mud-message.
    - Can anyone provide notes on better use of an emergency blanket, while unfurling in the wind? I wrapped it around myself well enough, but there have to be better ways. I mean this both for turtling behind shelter & hiking away from the elements.

We found out the day after that the wind we received was the edge of a major storm that hit the Calgary & Red Deer areas 120km East of us; the CBC has a video clip of the Stampede grounds being cleared of people due to hail, wind & heavy rains..!

Thanks!

Hmm, lumber crayon....Good idea.

There are better emergency blankets than the plain sheets of mylar, but they cost more and are bulkier. HeatSheets is one brand

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel MD View Post
    Hmm, lumber crayon....Good idea.

There are better emergency blankets than the plain sheets of mylar, but they cost more and are bulkier. HeatSheets is one brand

livestock marker crayon is even better .... bigger - more durable - multiple rainbow colors - sticks to all surfaces

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/a...int-color-blue

Bulk is something I'd like to avoid.

Because they pack so small I have an emergency blanket in my day pack/EDC (which becomes my hiking backpack for day hikes), the hip packs for light hikes, the bin in my vehicle, office kit, etc. On the con side, one tear and if you're not quick to tape it you've got two pieces.

I have a reinforced version as well that stays in the vehicle - it has some kind of nylon on the other side. I may look at that for folding it and inserting it into one flat space in my backpack as it is much more study. The grommet holes around the edge also give loads of options. About $15 at Canadian Tire. Combined with the spare shoe laces in the pack, it could be much better than the plain version.

finally pooped
    I've used the really thin ones a few times. The only way I've ever had good results with the really thin ones is to cut it like you are making a poncho out of a trash bag and tape around the neck, then put a light jacket or shirt over it.

If you don't have anything to put over it though they are kind of useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

You can use a small, smooth rock in the corner of the simple blankets, and tie a piece of cord around it, in lieu of a grommet.... Same with a piece of a stick.

Thanks for those notes, both of you.

Jamesneuen, I'd think that would lead to moisture accumulation underneath the blanket, though in the situation that wouldn't be one's main concern. I'll think this through for use. I always have a lighter with at least 3' of duct tape wrapped around it, so taping the hole/tear is an option.

Neat! I may not see these on shelves where I am, but will keep an eye out if I'm at a store that sells farm-related items.

I'd want to check that it works in all temperatures and is also -35/+35 centigrade tolerant. Certain items in my vehicle's preparedness bin are in freezer bags in case they rupture in heat, crack in cold, and leak.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Shelter, waterproof, windproof... the first thing that comes to mind, is not tooo expensive, tooo heavy and tooo bulky is a USGI Goretex Bivy Bag... Even without a sleeping bag or woobie, it could be enough to keep you "warm", its a great wind break and if you get a halla rain storm, zip it all the way up and stay dry!

http://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Camou...=usgi+bivy+bag

Id trust my life to one... If you thought you MIGHT get a little cold for a summer time hike, you can couple it with a patrol bag, which is part of the 4 part system..
    http://www.amazon.com/Military-Modul...=usgi+bivy+bag

The combined weight MIGHT be as much as a medium sleeping bag, but bear in mind... you carrying your SHELTER with you, no need for a tent!

GL,
    EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

I agree it looks like a robust unit, but to be honest I wouldn't carry that for a day hike unless I was expecting trouble. And if the weather looked that way, my wife may veto the hike in favor of one somewhere else. =)

(I do have a SOL Emergency Bivvy permanently in my EDC as described here: http://survivalcache.com/sol-emergency-bivvy-review/)

This system does look like a good lightweight angle if one wasn't set on being in a tent...I'll keep this in mind! Thanks!
    Last edited by Marthony; 07-07-2015 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added note re SOL unit