Thread: Good earthquake article

Do you have a robot?
    Thanks doc for the information. I have been looking at moving out of state for a couple of years and Oregon has been one location. Having lived in CA all my life I know about tsunamis and earthquakes. I recently saw a show on the area they talk about at the end of this article. It is like all these people are disposal. The only areas I would consider are higher up and would be well away from this inundation zone. The part of the article I found most interesting is the time it would take to get back services. One to three months for electricity, 1 month to a year for sewer and water and that is all the areas west of I-5. My thought are if I were to move i would have all the backups so this would not affect me as much but 6 months to a year to replace the roads would basically choke the entire area to death. I guess you could look at Katrina, there are still areas which are not rebuilt.

One other interesting thing is how it would change the politics of the state. When you look at the entire west coast the population is mostly along the coast. If this were to happen then some of this population would been killed but most would be displaced. Displaced to where, my guess would be to larger cities to the south, California. If you look at the political make up of all three states, CA, Org and WA the democrats are in the west and the republicans are in the East. So Oregon might be a better place to live if you were a conservative after an event like this. Who know the State of Jefferson may just become a reality.
    http://www.jeffersonstate.com/
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    Thanks doc for the information. I have been looking at moving out of state for a couple of years and Oregon has been one location. Having lived in CA all my life I know about tsunamis and earthquakes. I recently saw a show on the area they talk about at the end of this article. It is like all these people are disposal. The only areas I would consider are higher up and would be well away from this inundation zone. The part of the article I found most interesting is the time it would take to get back services. One to three months for electricity, 1 month to a year for sewer and water and that is all the areas west of I-5. My thought are if I were to move i would have all the backups so this would not affect me as much but 6 months to a year to replace the roads would basically choke the entire area to death. I guess you could look at Katrina, there are still areas which are not rebuilt.

One other interesting thing is how it would change the politics of the state. When you look at the entire west coast the population is mostly along the coast. If this were to happen then some of this population would been killed but most would be displaced. Displaced to where, my guess would be to larger cities to the south, California. If you look at the political make up of all three states, CA, Org and WA the democrats are in the west and the republicans are in the East. So Oregon might be a better place to live if you were a conservative after an event like this. Who know the State of Jefferson may just become a reality.
    http://www.jeffersonstate.com/
    Loosing everything in Oregon (and Washington) west of I-5 would make those two states quite conservative....

A good friend of mine was the source of the power grid info for that article. I've suggested that he move from suburban Portland to maybe The Dalles (on the east side of Mt. Hood).

The problem is that there is, quite literally, no place safe from some sort of geological or climatological disaster, anywhere on earth. And then, there is the chance of a stray asteroid smacking your day into oblivion.....