Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to you is "off limits" for scavenging and why?

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...

What to you is "off limits" for scavenging and why?

I think the "scavenging for supplies" thread brought out quite a lot of great ideas, but also some strong opinions. I brought up the idea of scavenging from religious institutions. Some of you thought it was fair game, while others thought it was crossing a bad line. So, I ask you what is off limits in your thoughts as a prepper, and at what point would you be crossing over to the dark side? How far is too far, or is everything fair game as far as you are concerned?

For the Love of Cats

day 1 - maintain hidey-hole
    day 3 - stay outa my way!
    day 5 - hide up
    day 9 - pickin' thru the ashes
    day 12 - no rules, people are made of meat... and god help them if they are messing with my peas...
    day 18 - I told you, punk, don't fuck with my peas!

shit digresses quickly after one fucks with my peas!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

What ever is necessary for survival, except i would not harm a INNOCENT person to survive.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Note to self....don't fuck with Snipers peas!

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    What ever is necessary for survival, except i would not harm a INNOCENT person to survive.

"INNOCENT person" goes to fair game when he defends his property against someone like you "salvaging"

after the true innocent people - that can't defend themselves - die off because they were "salvaged" out of existence .... there'll only be the "salvaging" people and the people with morals & ethics prepared to live and DEFEND themselves .....

may be in trouble

Each will have their own Rubicon. Bear in mind that, once they cross it, essentially they become the equivalent of those that caused the S to HTF in the first place.

Mental preparation, or ethical?

So far Helo, Illi, and Keep all three make good and valid points. Do what you have to but don't go too far. But what is too far. How do you define an "innocent". Just because the are good today because the have a full belly doesn't mean in 5 days time they might not think twice about ripping out your throat just to get your three cans of peas. At what point does the moral delema come into play? Does anyone of us civilians really know what we are capable of. And personally speaking here to any military members, as a civilian I have no idea what might have happened in your past in any conflict you may have been involved in, and I am in no way critizing any thing you may have had to do to survive. In my opinion any military member is a true "American Hero" and should never be questioned about their past. But for those of us who have never seen the field of battle, I don't think it's fair to point fingers in ANY direction until we ourselves have truly made a mental decision as to how far we are willing to go to survive. And going beyond that, how far are you willing to go to protect you wife, husband, family. Remember just because you are passionate about protecting yourself and family, your neighbor who you were close to, had BBQs with, shared birthdays, events, good times with, is just as equally passionate about saving his family. Just because we have prepped, and even though we try to teach them, they don't always listen, and will want our peas...and if nothing else is learned here today...don't fuck with another mans peas...you won't like what you get!

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Im a lot like Sniper, except for Beefaroni instead of peas...

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Walking on Sunshine

This is something I've struggled and prayed about. How far is too far? Scavenging abandoned buildings, be it a church or an office is one thing, stealing from others to survive ??? I know deep down inside me I would do anything to protect my family, if attacked but to deliberately seek out others to kill and steal from them to survive, I don't know if I could go that far. I guess in the long run we really don't know what we will do until faced with a total SHTF situation. Each of us will have to make decisions based on how we were raised, our self preservation instincts and how we've prepared so far and who we're with.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    ^^Pretty much this.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.