Thread: Different kind of SHTF

I'll most likely shit myself

Different kind of SHTF

I had a different type of SHTF over the weekend. Found out I was part way perpared for it.

We were out of town visiting our nephew. While staying at a decent hotel, in a decent looking neighborhood we had our truck broke into. Sound asleep at 3:30 Sunday morning our phone rings, desk cleck said I hate to tell you this, but your truck got broke in to. The cops need you to come down and talk to you. Hotel guy just happened to be watching the monitors and saw a car come flying in, door fly open and several thugs just out. He calls the cops and goes running down the hall and outside. He started yelling at them and at least one thug pulled a gun on him. Luckliy he didn't get shot. It must have spooked them cause they got in the car and left.

Cops said they had also hit the BP station and McDonalds down the rd earlier that night. We talked to others at the hotel the rest of our time there and found out the video showed the thugs were in a stolen car, the thugs all looed to be between 9 to 18, 5 of them and everyone had a gun.

As for the truck they broke out the front passenger window, but we had nothing stolen. They open the glove box when they got in, pulled out a bunch of keys dropped them in the seat and ran. Their was glass all over the truck, still finding the odd chunck here and there. I figured I better do something to cover the broken window. I got some cardboard, cut out a piece and duct taped in the the door. Card board I had to find, Duct tape i had a roll in the truck. Cops set there and watch me cut it up and put it in. Ended up calling our insurance and they had a preffered repair glass shop. Called them Monday morning and the came to the hotel and repaired it in less than an hour. I wasn't looking forward to driving 200 miles with that cardboard blocking my view.

One thing I know right now I am adding to every vehicle I own. Roll of duck tape and some really heavy clear plastic, cut big enough to cover the 2 largest windows. Neither will take much space and would be handy. I'm sure there are plenty more lessons learned to get from this. What else would you want to have for minor repairs like this? What do any of you have already?

finally pooped
    I keep a multi tool, onboard air compressor, roll of wire, trash bags, tie downs, duct tape and zip ties,
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

Multi tool, lawn size bags, and tie downs stay in the truck. Zips ties and a roll of trap wire could be very handy. Compressor to.

For the Love of Cats

Alarm?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Just factory, nothing more.

For the Love of Cats

A long time ago, a friend put an amp into his alarm system... I don't remember the technical... but it took his alarm from loud to pop-your-eardrums-can't-think-or-see-straight- kind of loud. There is no way anyone could be near enough to the car to steal anything once it was triggered.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Walking on Sunshine

Sorry about the truck BP but good idea about the clear plastic rather than the black bags I have in car.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    A long time ago, a friend put an amp into his alarm system... I don't remember the technical... but it took his alarm from loud to pop-your-eardrums-can't-think-or-see-straight- kind of loud. There is no way anyone could be near enough to the car to steal anything once it was triggered.
    I had a friend that had a big stereo in a truck and after the first attempted theft, he installed a Piezo siren inside the truck. That thing was like having one of those crowd control LRADs in your face. Downright painful to be near.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

The clear was a learning thing with having nothing other than putting up cardboard. Couldn't see crap. I had black contractor bags, but felt the cardboard would hold up better. Clear bags will give some visablility.