So we are starting to have some serious issues with coyotes in our area. We live in the suburbs near Pasadena, Ca. Housing desnity is pretty thick.

The coyote around my daughter's home is now attacking taking pets, even some good sized dogs during daylight hours. We have been told the coyote is a "protected" species, probably designated so by some of our asshat legislators in Sacramento, maybe by some bureaucrat.

I have no problem with taking one of those animals out. If I were outside it was threatening me, right?

The question is what to use? 7.62X39 and 5.56 both will do the job but would most likely be a through shot and then endanger neighbors. .357 would most likely pass through too and since from a handgun, more chance of a miss occurring at the distance I would have to shoot. .38spl and 9mm less chance of a through shot but the same issue of accuracy on a slightly moving target at distance.

Would a .22LR take down a coyote? I would hope to at least drop it with the first shot and do a couple of quick follow up shots to humanely kill it.

How about your thoughts on how to deal with animal? I thought about bringing in a roadrunner but....