I have been trying to set up comms with some other people in my area with my ham radios. I decided to get my liscence last year, but that didn't make my radios (Yaesu ft-60r) receive any better for some reason. Even taking them up to the very top of the ridge with a portable antenna, I could only transmit and receive a short distance with their limited 5w power. I have upgraded the power to a 75w Yaesu ft-2900r, operating in the 2 meter band. I am upgrading the antenna to a slim Jim copper j-pole antenna which should be in sometime next week. I have a telescoping 30 ft tower I will use short term until I can get a perminate steel tower installed. I am hoping with increased power, increased height with an increased antenna, I can receive and transmit out of this geographic bowl I seem to be in. If that does not work, I have drawn up some pretty impressive plans for a wide reaching network of my own design, that I came up with as a kid. I can't say much yet, as I am still waiting to hear back from my investors, the Dixie Cup Co., and the Acme String Consortium.