Okay guys it is time I got off my ass and get some equipment. I went over to one of the guys in our local radio club who volunteered to help out and he gave me some suggestions. I have found radios are like guns there are lots of opinions and you need to know what you want them for. So here goes. I want at least one preferably two handheld radios and they have to be rugged. I want a mobile to run in my truck and also have one as a base station. I understand I need a power supply for the base. I am still up in the air about an antenna.

For the handheld I was looking at a Yaesu FT-60R
Mobile Kenwood D710G
Power supply Alinco DM-330MV

I want to put together a mobile which I can run off a battery. I understand I can run the Kenwood this way but I am looking at an additional mobile this way I can take it in my wife's car and leave the truck with one.

What do you think? I figure I have a bunch of guns of the same make and caliber why not the same goes for radios. I understand the cost and was budgeting $1,000 just to get started. Thanks for your impute. By the way if you think I am bat shit crazy I would like to hear that too.