Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A First world problem

A First world problem

So our home is in one of the areas of So. California that was just recently struck by brushfires. Only my wife and I live there now, the kids have been on their own for years.

This past Monday I was away from home and received a phone call from my daughter. She was on her way to our house. A major fire had broken out and was advancing on the home. I told her I would be there in 35 - 40 minutes. She asked about what to get. I reminded her that primary was human life after that get the strong box that contains many important documents, get the animals. Go for old family pics, mom's jewelry. She asked about the current location of our guns. We hung up the phones.

About 10 minutes later she called back and asked the following question. "If I am down to the last few minutes, do I grab the wine or ammunition?" I told her that we are in California and I can always buy more wine but the way things are going here, I my not be able to restock the ammo.

When I got home, she had the guns by the door. "Didn't want all the neighbors to see the guns unless absolutely necessary," she told me. I taught the kid well! I did end up taking them out and putting them in the car along with some ammo for every caliber. We ended up not needing to bug out and a few hours later had to reverse the process.

For the Love of Cats

Glad it worked out for the best! Great job on raising a level headed kid. I am sure my niece would be all about clothes and makeup.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Why doesn't California do more controlled burns to help deal with these issues. I am required to do control burns on my property to keep my pine exemption.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    Why doesn't California do more controlled burns to help deal with these issues. I am required to do control burns on my property to keep my pine exemption.
    Dude, you can't even pick up firewood when camping in the national forests in CA.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

I started this spring buying various soft bags for inconspicuous long gun carry to supplement my regular gun cases - you can pick up second hand ball & bat bags and guitar cases for a few bucks .... no use advertising gun ownership and breaking OPSEC along with sheeple's anti gun sensitivities these days ....

I'll most likely shit myself

Glad you got by with no damage. Sounds like the daughter did well.

From news accounts, the firefighters are doing a great job is piss poor conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Dude, you can't even pick up firewood when camping in the national forests in CA.
    Well till they start doing controlled burns this will continue.

Do you have a robot?
    Hey buddy you trained your daughter well, kudos to her.

Helo the controlled burns are called the Santa Ana winds. Remember we don't want to hurt mother nature by burning down the forest. Then again Mother Nature will just do a smack down and just burn people out. It is not unusual to have 40 MPH winds around the fire zones and then everyone is at the mercy of the wind. Most of the time the stuff which burns, other than homes is a chaparral which is full of oil and burns like a torch with a little wind.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    Hey buddy you trained your daughter well, kudos to her.

Helo the controlled burns are called the Santa Ana winds. Remember we don't want to hurt mother nature by burning down the forest. Then again Mother Nature will just do a smack down and just burn people out. It is not unusual to have 40 MPH winds around the fire zones and then everyone is at the mercy of the wind. Most of the time the stuff which burns, other than homes is a chaparral which is full of oil and burns like a torch with a little wind.
    A professional should be able to do a controlled burn. I have to pay someone to do mine, pine is very flammable, but if done right no trees get hurt. Until they start doing controlled burns, they will always have these out of control fires.

Do you have a robot?
    Don't get me wrong they do have controlled burns but it is only done mostly by the fire department. Usually they are done on public land. However remember we can't generate too much smog or it will burn the eyes. Then again you need to worry about anyone in the area with a breathing problem. If the wind is blowing too much then will the smoke blow in the wrong direction. So most people do not do control burns because if they get out of hand then they will be responsible for putting them out. Please remember we are on the Left Coast and obviously the government knows what is best for us all............. I do not think there is enough liability insurance in the state to have a private contractor do the work.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.