One area where I was particularly weak is what I call "camping shelter".

Before I go too far, I should point out my views on "bugging out" are rather dim. The whole concept that you're gonna sense danger in the wind, load up the family to head to the hills, live off berries and somehow avoid detection seems all very nonsensical too me.

I preferred to relocate my family to an area of the country that offered better all-round conditions for mid-term and long-term SHTF events. In short, I moved to my bug-out location.

So with all that behind us, I have upgraded my sleeping/shelter options greatly since we all last chatted. I started out with some $30 Walmart sleeping bags that basically stayed on the shelf in the garage. Should we be forced outside, or even used them to camp, they'd have been functionally useless.

Tent: I decided to go with a basic Academy/Bass Pro/Cabella's generic tent for family camping and the odd situation where we need temporary shelter. It's big enough to fit the family, some gear and a small stock of food/water. You can spend a lot of money for a lot better tents, with a lot better features. I decided that the tent was a limited purpose item and not worth investing big dollars right now.

Personal Sleeping: I've gone hammock for spring/summer/fall outdoors sleeping. Rainfly and extension straps naturally. I went with the Eno Doublenest. I'll toss a cheapo foam sleeping mat in it as the temps drop.

Sleeping Bag: Snugpak Softie Elite 2 Sleeping Bag. I chose it for two reasons: lightweight and temp range. It's crazy compact and 2.8lbs. Comfortable temp rage down to the low 30's. For my geography that's plenty good. Obviously, if I'm suddenly going to Alaska that's not gonna work. As luck would have it, I'm not suddenly going to Alaska.

Shelter: Snugpak 92860 Stratosphere One Person Bivvi Shelter. For another 2.5lbs I gain a 1person tent for shelter from the elements. The combo of Bivi and sleeping bag works well for when I need to go to ground. I've not used it in inclement weather so I don't know how dry it actually is. I "hope" to find out eventually....not really.

Woobie: For our military readers, I'm a massive fan of the woobie (waterproof pancho liner). I carry one year round when camping as it can be used so many ways. Now that the temps are dropping I can add it to the sleeping bag/bivi arrangement for a touch more warmth.

Foam Mat: I'm considering one of those super cool self-inflating sleeping pads. Right now I've been using your basic foam pad that you roll up. It's not great but gives a touch more comfort and doesn't cost anything.

Survive Outdoors Longer: Escape Bivi. I did try this one for a while. Its like a foil reflective blanket but in sleeping bag format. Its....ok. I guess. It's crinkly and very hard to get into. I didn't really care for it. Of course, I was using it in a hammock, so maybe on the ground it's way better.

This is all gear I've actually used out in the woods. In fact, am trying to put together a few camps for early Nov.