Paper or Plastic, no not bags, money. When you travel what do you normally carry or is it a combination. I find credit may only go so far but if the power is out then there will be a problem. I remember being in a market when the power went out, the customers were all concerned as to what to do since the credit system was down and no one had cash. I paid with cash and left although, the clerk had to figure out how much change to give me. When I travel I generally keep a large amount of cash with me but use the credit cards. The cash is split into two amounts one for emergency and the other is for tips and small purchases. Recently we took a trip to Arizona, first one in 10 years without kids. I was amazed at how fast the spending cash for tips disappeared. Everyone on and his brother expected to be tipped for things that were already paid.

So in a true emergency I would hope my cash would either get me home or at least part way. I generally have a mix of small and large bills. The large bills obviously taking up a smaller space. I found after this trip the small bills disappeared rather fast. If you only have a $100 bill and you need something but the person does not have change do you purchase the item and forget about the change? So after this trip I am reevaluating my strategy, I plan to carry much more in the small bills, five $20's are the same as a $100 bill but they are more versatile.

So how about you, what are your plans for emergencies. I know some of you go through hurricanes and floods so what do you suggest. Do you set minimums as to how much you carry? If you have suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. This would not be just for what I am carrying but also my wife and kids. My kids are adults in their 20’s and have their own GHB's.