While up at the furnished cabin just outside of Waynesboro, Virginia.....we stopped at the local Wal Mart to get groceries to see us through the week.

While preparing dinner the first evening...the olde type hand can opener did not seem to work...it appeared to just be worn out...and was one of those olde squeeze together handle types where you squeeze and turn the butterfly knob...

I remembered that I had brought my daily BOB as it had in it my 2 meter walkie talkie, shortwave receiver and MP3 Player with FM radio. But it also had in it a small supply of P38 military can openers.

I took one out and proceeded to open the two large cans of corn to be prepared for dinner.
That got us through the night and a few other dinners to follow.

I don't like to leave home without a P38 and often have one on my various key chains. I just knew to put some extras in my various BOBs.

Great invention the P38 can opener and one which is "Almost" GI proof.

However...I think I am going to update my stash of P38s with the some of the newer larger ones..the P51s .....with more mechanical advantage by design. The P51s work the same way ...just a bit larger...more leverage.

Thanks,
Orangetom