Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much does a full wood cord weigh?

Two trips, got it!

Thanks guys!

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Sparrow, In the part of NY where I am wood is sold by the "Face Cord" which is 4'x8' x16-18" (INCHES) which is about 1/3 to 1/2 of a normal cord.
    This is about all you can get in a normal sized pick-up in one trip.
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

Thanks Alpha, where I am getting the wood it is a 'full cord', so I've already made arrangements for two trips. Thanks again everyone! I love this forum, everyone is so nice and non judgmental!

I'll most likely shit myself

Alpha they call the FACE CORD a RICK down here, basically half a full cord. That is what is typically sold here as well. And yeah that's about a good truck load.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Speaking of which, Fort McCoy just opened up this weekend for wood cutting, its free, all you have to do is go to the designated wood cutting areas and cut/load/transport all the wood ya want for free!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    Speaking of which, Fort McCoy just opened up this weekend for wood cutting, its free, all you have to do is go to the designated wood cutting areas and cut/load/transport all the wood ya want for free!
    WTF, free wood? Where is that? More info. please!

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Fort McCoy Wisconsin, the entire north post and south post areas are open for free firewood cutting/gathering. All you do is drive up to base, get a map of the designated areas, and you can go harvest as much wood as you can handle as long as you are not a commercial entity. It has to be for private use for you to gather/harvest/cut down.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaTea View Post
    Sparrow, In the part of NY where I am wood is sold by the "Face Cord" which is 4'x8' x16-18" (INCHES) which is about 1/3 to 1/2 of a normal cord.
    This is about all you can get in a normal sized pick-up in one trip.
    This is also known in some areas as a rick. There are no specific dimensions to a rick so it is always better to buy by the cord, which as has been said, is a distinct and measurable quantity. A rick is also sometimes used to describe a truckload.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

For the Love of Cats

We also have a 'face cord' around here too. The designation comes from the amount of a cord that you can see the face of. So the pile is 4' high, 8' wide, and 4 foot deep. you can only see the height and width when you are facing the pile. so it pays to ask what length the logs are cut to. around here, the standard is 16" so a 'face' cord is 1/3 of a full cord. the odd time you can buy a 24" face cord, which is 1/2. There are a few yahoos selling around here that cut into 12" pcs, which they tout as 'easier to split' which is true, but then for a face cord, you only get a 1/4.

I'm lucky enough here, that there are several cutting areas within 1/2 hour of me, where I can buy a $5.00 permit, and I can cut up to 7 cords of whatever I want. Or I can go to a commercial cutting area, and pay $25 for a truckload of 8' logs, that I have to load myself.

either way... it's a good deal!

Yeah, I picked up some last night, ... the cord is so huge it is going to take 3 or 4 trips.