Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much does a full wood cord weigh?

If I could find my camera I would take a picture. The guy has it stacked outside his house, he bought a transport of logs and and nice retired guy split them.

It is about 16-18" wide, 5' high, and about 22' long. For $200. Defiantly more then a cord right? I am paying him 400 more next time for 2 more chords and just pick up wood whenever I am in the area/ have free time on a nice day. Even if it takes all winter for me to get it he said meh, it is yours. People are so nice around here!

It was so funny cuz the old guy was like, you should get a splitter and split your own, my response was: I can do some manly things ... but that would be over my limit!

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    It is about 16-18" wide, 5' high, and about 22' long. For $200. Defiantly more then a cord right?
    !
    A CORD = 4X4X8 = 128 Cubic feet
    yours = 5x22x1.33 = 146 cubic feet

yup... more than a cord

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    It was so funny cuz the old guy was like, you should get a splitter and split your own, my response was: I can do some manly things ... but that would be over my limit!
    I don't think he was refering to an axe or a maul... he was probably refering to one of these:

Yardworks 4-Ton Log Splitter | Canadian Tire

if you can load your own wood... you can certainly split it with one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    A CORD = 4X4X8 = 128 Cubic feet
    yours = 5x22x1.33 = 146 cubic feet

yup... more than a cord

I don't think he was refering to an axe or a maul... he was probably refering to one of these:

Yardworks 4-Ton Log Splitter | Canadian Tire

if you can load your own wood... you can certainly split it with one of these.

Around here to have a transport deliver logs it costs 130 per cord ... but then you have like a huge transport dump huge-ass logs in your drive! I couldn't even move one of those logs LOL Would be different if I had a man, who I would help do stuff, but I don't. Maybe in the future I will, that would be nice

Cool about the splitter, I thought they'd be more expensive!

For the Love of Cats

Splitters can go up exponentially in cost. I have a simple one like that and it busts up everything I've thrown into it. but for a couple dollars more... you can go with something like this:
    Lumberjack Bobcat - YouTube

I'm able to get the wood in three loads. I am unloading and stacking a load tomorrow ... I am ... so ... sore. How do men do it? I am so out of shape!

Crotch Rocket

Bobcats just got better to me. And I love their utility to begin with. Outstanding!

I think moving a cord of wood is a good bit of work for most anyone, Sparrow. I just got one stacked into the shed today, with another piled up and ready for tomorrow, and I know I was ready to sit down for lunch today.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I've got one full cord in the basement, found my camera! So I am going to take some pictures of it tomorrow and measure it as I am curious to see if it is bigger then a full cord (which I had estimated). Also stacking it takes a little finessing. I know it isn't a big deal now that I have stacked a cord ... but ... I don't want that thing falling on me! Stacking was important!

For the Love of Cats

yup, stacking does take some finesse. if you don't have immovable objects for the ends (like walls or trees) alternate the directions of the end pcs. start with the end ones perpendicular with the pile. Then another row the same as the pile, then perp. again. you can also offset them into the pile by 1/2 a length, that way the pile itself will lock itself in.

Another thing to keep in mind is that all (most) trees are tapered, so by alternating direction of placement by 180 degrees will help keep your pile level across the top, not leaning forward or back.

And, if you're stacking outside, try to keep the cplit parts facing down (ie bark on top). This will help it season better, and stay drier if the stack gets rained or snowed on.

IMO