Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Scavenging for supplies

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Dropy View Post
    Farms, fish farms, places that sell plants cuz many sell fruit and nut trees also.

Campgrounds could surprise you for what can be found there.

Dairy Queen cuz i like ice cream and will need a soft serve machine in the BOL.

Dentists office, eye doctor places, massage parlors (hope for happy ending),

Anyplace selling motorcycles, atv's/4 wheelers, boats and campers are great for fuel, parts and maybe vehicles. Camper spots also tend to sell outdoor gear like composting toilettes and stuff.

Bookstores.
    As a retired Licensed Massage Therapist I am offended by that little note there buddy!!!

Where's the epi?

How about schools and YMCA's?

For the Love of Cats

As a former lifeguard, I would think that any decent pool would still have a goodly supply of first-aid supplies, plus the pool chemicals of course

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    How about schools and YMCA's?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

Please don't go there Izzy, please!

Just 2 or 3 mice or squirrels will do the job....don't ask

Another thing to look at is in places like Wal-mart and Costco or other warehouse club stores, after things have been stripped to the bare shelves, what about the electric fork lifts? The deep cycle batteries would be an increadible addition to a BOL or other location. Also some places have propane powered fork lifts and might still have some in the removable tanks.

Just 2 or 3 mice or squirrels will do the job....don't ask

Some other items bound to be left behind in warehouse areas as well as disabled or abandoned vehicles would be the hydraulic and automatic transmission fluid. Drain these from the systems and you can filter then blend it with diesel to stretch fuel supplies. This will run generators or vehicles.

Then there is the internals of any and all vehicle batteries. Even if you don't need extra storage capacity for your system, you can drain the acid and store this for later use. In the right situation you can concentrate the sulphuric acid and use for processing or manufacturing a large number of items including nitro-cellulose or gun cotton if you have some of the other ingredients that are necessary. Then the plates can be melted down and recast for other purposes.

The biggest challenge will be to look beyond what the opportunists will look for and find the true jewels that have been overlooked through haste or ignorance.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Quote Originally Posted by Daca102090 View Post
    Another thing to look at is in places like Wal-mart and Costco or other warehouse club stores, after things have been stripped to the bare shelves, what about the electric fork lifts? The deep cycle batteries would be an increadible addition to a BOL or other location. Also some places have propane powered fork lifts and might still have some in the removable tanks.
    Good one!

A laugh a minute
    The land no matter where you are is always going to have what ever you need. I was raised to live off of the land, so I have a jump start on some people. That being said, learn about what plants are edible and or medical. Then learn how to make tools and shelter
    clothes and such from what nature has to offer. That way you can and will survive.
    Last edited by Taz Baby; 01-03-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Do you have a robot?
    Okay I will throw in. In our area we have orchards that would be there for the pickings, sorry couldn't resist. Another thing that we have in our area are wineries everywhere. Some of these wineries have thousands of square feet of wine caves that could be used for shelters. Most wineries have generators for auxiliary power. They also have large quantities of fuel for equipment. They generally have great machine shops and equipment maintenance shops for spare parts and tools. You would also find first aid supplies along with food for employees.. Many of these also have distillation equipment and also sterilization equipment. Oh ya I would imagine there might be a bottle of wine or two strictly for medicinal purposes......